Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin Oak or Post Oak Acorns Question

Hey guys,

I've got a lot of oaks on my property, and the vast majority are post oaks. I think we're looking at a strong acorn crop this year, but I was curious if anyone has seen a difference in preference for deer when it comes to post oaks vs. pin oak acorns?

I've got a couple of small stands of pin oaks that might be a hot spot if deer tend to prefer those acorns over the post oaks. Trying to do some research on this and most people seem to agree that pin oaks are highly desirable over most other acorns, but was hoping to hear some first hand experience.

Thanks,
    TB

seems to be in my experience that deer seem to prefer a white oak variety acorn, as apposed to a red oak variety. I have also noticed that some acorns of the same variety are sweeter / more desirable depending on the soil quality. I have not seen an actual Pin Oak tree in my parts of Texas mostly Texas Red Oak, Shumard Oak, and black oak, which are both often referred to as a "Pin Oak", but are not.

just my very humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
      seems to be in my experience that deer seem to prefer a white oak variety acorn, as apposed to a red oak variety. I have also noticed that some acorns of the same variety are sweeter / more desirable depending on the soil quality. I have not seen an actual Pin Oak tree in my parts of Texas mostly Texas Red Oak, Shumard Oak, and black oak, which are both often referred to as a "Pin Oak", but are not.

ditto

Comment

As stated above White oaks are their favorite and Reds are the least favorite. It has to do with the Tanic acidic level in the acorns. The Pin Oak should be your better choice. http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...ns/acorns.html

Comment

They drop at different times of the year.

Around us live oaks drop first, then pin oak and post oak are later.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
            As stated above White oaks are their favorite and Reds are the least favorite. It has to do with the Tanic acidic level in the acorns. The Pin Oak should be your better choice. http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...ns/acorns.html
            Pin oak is in the red oak family and post oak is in the white oak family. what is your reasoning for thinking they will prefer the Pin Oak?

Comment

Everywhere I've hunted that had both pin and post oaks, the deer seemed to favor pin oak acorns over all others based on the amount of fresh tracks around those trees.

Comment

Pin oak is in the red oak family and post oak is in the white oak family. what is your reasoning for thinking they will prefer the Pin Oak?

According to the link in the post the Pin Oaks have a lower Tanic Acid then the red oaks and that is what the deer prefer. It does not mention the Post Oaks Tanic Acid level or their preference in the charts.

Comment

It seems like the question is, do post oaks fall into the highly desirable "white oak" family? Some sources seem to break out post oaks separately from white oaks and some do not. Guess I'll have to do some hunting starting on Saturday to find out... Darn.

Comment

From personal observation the deer on our land prefer pin oaks over post oaks

Comment

I hear what you are saying and I believed that at one time. If there are acorns of various types in a given area a deer will eat all of them and Im not so sure the preference will be for White Oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        I hear what you are saying and I believed that at one time. If there are acorns of various types in a given area a deer will eat all of them and Im not so sure the preference will be for White Oaks.
                        I agree to an extent. I have hunted spots with various different oak variety dropping acorns, and the deer seemed to eat them all without bias. but I had one piece of property that was in a bottom. it was all oak trees, willow oak, water oak/(aka pin oak) red oak, there was even a Burr oak tree in there. out of all of the trees there was one true White Oak tree, the deer, squirrels, and what ever else would mop all of these acorns up first, every year. and then move on to the rest of the acorns. this is the only spot and only tree I have seen this personally happen to. I have heard stories before....
                        kind of like wheat VS oats. I have planted them side by side before, and the deer would walk across the wheat to eat the oats.

Comment

I don't know what the difference is. Have you ever ate a White Oak acorn vs a Red Oak? I cant tell the difference.
                          I have been on both sides of that coin, being at a acorn tree and deer and squirrels mobbing it and also hunting a white oak and deer just walk right by them. The one difference I saw was I had fertilized a White Oak....deer everyday.

Comment

Someone post up a chart showing the leaves of the common Texas Oaks por favor. I got most figured out but there a few on my place I don't know what they are.

Comment

Working...
                            X