South texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South texas

So what are the projections for the horns this year in south Texas ? Good, great average.....

From what I've seen, awesome.

Comment

big bucks and lots of quail..... we'll be comparing this season to every season from now on. Also lots of fawns born and survived this year and last year, so we should have a lot of mature bucks 4-7 years from now.

Comment

we are on a large ranch in STex - we have had 20 plus inches of rain this year so it is second year in a row of great browse. Our trail pics show it to be another outstanding year.

Comment

I agree with all the above. The only problem is trying to get them outta the brush. Late rains have everything way to green

Comment

I had a lot of rain last year on my places. This year I missed some of the late winter to early spring rains for a short period of time. Had a green up till but not like last year. For the most part, all the bucks got better with exception of one so far. He is about the same with more NT points but dropped a mainframe point. I had two bucks that got hoof/foot rot that I have not seen and not sure if they made it or not. Lot of bucks I have not seen yet that move when the rut gets closer. Those bucks born after the drought really look good for their age. There will be some really big deer killed this year if they can be found.

Comment

I think one more year. Lots of 4 year olds. 5 and up were part of the bad year.

Comment

South texas

Our deer are in excellent body shape. The range conditions where great in early spring then we had a little mini drought for about 45 days. High temps and no rain. Then we got rain to finish out the growing season. We let several 160-175+ mature 6-7 year old's go last season in hopes they would take big jumps. I have 1 that did but 3 of them went down, 1 went down ALOT and 2 of them that are protein hounds during the summer are nowhere to be found. No pics of them during the summer. Gone. Our does have a lot of twins. This could be one of those rebuilding years for us. Hopefully we get some new faces come by during rut. I have a feeling our bucks are going to stay in the brush due to the green conditions unless we get some freezing weather. However some are predicting a mild winter so we will just have to wait and see. This is why we call it hunting. We are a low fence ranch, all native deer. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Quail everywhere. Deer are VERY healthy and horns are looking awesome. Already have a couple on camera rubbed out. Benavides, tx

Comment

Turkey and quail had big hatches this year. Deer should be above average except on my place. I was convinced to switch from a feed I had started in December and switched manufacturer in early June. That was a big mistake. Almost half my mature bucks have deformed antlers on one side. A year of wasted energy, time, and money.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                      Our deer are in excellent body shape. The range conditions where great in early spring then we had a little mini drought for about 45 days. High temps and no rain. Then we got rain to finish out the growing season. We let several 160-175+ mature 6-7 year old's go last season in hopes they would take big jumps. I have 1 that did but 3 of them went down, 1 went down ALOT and 2 of them that are protein hounds during the summer are nowhere to be found. No pics of them during the summer. Gone. Our does have a lot of twins. This could be one of those rebuilding years for us. Hopefully we get some new faces come by during rut. I have a feeling our bucks are going to stay in the brush due to the green conditions unless we get some freezing weather. However some are predicting a mild winter so we will just have to wait and see. This is why we call it hunting. We are a low fence ranch, all native deer. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Your Ranch and My Ranch are Pretty Much Running Side By Side by your Report.

Comment

Looking good on our place! All the green is gonna make early season hunting pretty slow, but we'll see Saturday!

Comment

Seen a lot of good so far

Comment

Just back from the pasture. Wow. Place looks good. Deer and quail everywhere.

Comment

Only saw a couple of mature deer this weekend. We got a lot of rain early in the week and had water everywhere. Tons of quail. Not a lot of deer movement. Passed this guy early Saturday morning. Probably around 160+. Another guy shot him Saturday afternoon but can't find him. No blood. Hopefully he shows back up. We are going to need a hard freeze to get the mature deer on there feet.https://vimeo.com/185383283

Comment

Working...
                              X