Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

How To: ATV Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very informative! I've been considering doing a food plot for the past few years, but its a little daunting considering I have zero experience doing such a thing. Thanks for chronicling your project here onTBH.

Comment

Everything worked per the plan. Now I'm just praying for rain.

Comment

Rain has been scarce in our parts which is really proving unfortunate for growth but we do see some green.

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
          Rain has been scarce in our parts which is really proving unfortunate for growth but we do see some green.

That's about what mine are looking like too. Pretty disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm optimistic - assuming it ever decides to rain. Granted, we'll be into December by then probably.

Comment

That looks great. Food Plots are tough but rewarding. You will be so happy when you kill a deer in it. Good Luck

Comment

I enjoy food plotting. sometime I just watch the deer feeding in the plots. I watched a doe and fawn in one of the plots until she heard a buck and left. I watched 3 bucks come in one at a time, 15 min apart or so, sniff out where she had been in the plot. Things like that make me want to continue my food plotting in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                  I enjoy food plotting. sometime I just watch the deer feeding in the plots. I watched a doe and fawn in one of the plots until she heard a buck and left. I watched 3 bucks come in one at a time, 15 min apart or so, sniff out where she had been in the plot. Things like that make me want to continue my food plotting in the future.

I hear you loud and clear. I watched a doe feed on the plot for an hour straight - uninterrupted. It was pretty cool to watch that. Probably the most entertaining hour spent watching a doe in my hunting life.

Comment

nice work sir

Comment

Originally posted by Chitchyaoutdoor View Post
                      nice work sir

Thanks! It looks like we got a half inch or so of rain in the last 24 hours. Hopefully that helps us out a bit.

Comment

How did you like that chain harrow? I've been wondering if it would be useful to pull off some of the plant and woody debris after mowing and disking, and leave more bare dirt for better overall seed contact. Think it would be good for that?

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
                          How did you like that chain harrow? I've been wondering if it would be useful to pull off some of the plant and woody debris after mowing and disking.......
                          I'd leave the "plant debris" in the plot, helps build the soil fertility, reduces soil compaction, and several other beneficial things. I agree with getting big stuff like old stump debris out.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                            I'd leave the "plant debris" in the plot, helps build the soil fertility, reduces soil compaction, and several other beneficial things. I agree with getting big stuff like old stump debris out.

I like the chain harrow but more for leveling than removing debris. After discing I threw some weight on the chain harrow and dragged it to smooth things out and level the little low spots.

My little disc turned over a lot of the plant debris in my plot. As I came across larger objects, I'd stop and throw them into the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
                              I like the chain harrow but more for leveling than removing debris. After discing I threw some weight on the chain harrow and dragged it to smooth things out and level the little low spots.

My little disc turned over a lot of the plant debris in my plot. As I came across larger objects, I'd stop and throw them into the woods.
                              Yes sir, sounds good, looks like your doing a great job! Very similar to what I'd like to do on my lease in Coryell county however the landowner leases grazing rights and there are too many cows on the place!

Comment

Nice thread..........glad I found it.

Comment

Working...
                                X