Any suggestions for our place? 1200 acres near Magnolia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions for our place? 1200 acres near Magnolia

We have owned 1200 acres around Magnolia since 2003. Well 850 of it up until 2014 and the other 350 we bought in 2014. We have really just started to manage it. Last year was our first year on MLD. We were issued 16 doe tags and no buck tags but a recommended 8 bucks to take. Camera surveys show a 3:1 ratio for the last two seasons. This year our ratio is the same but our fawn numbers are horrible. We really don't know why. I do think it has a lot to do with coyotes for one. Im going to be hammering them hard this winter with the guns and my brother will hammer them on the trap line.

My main goals with our place is to improve our habitat and improve our herd health. I want an increased age structure of our bucks and of course better quality. Seeing what our fawn recruitment was this year and last, it has moved up to the front in importance. We have some incredible habitat. Of the 1,215 acres we have, about 850 acres is Lake Creek bottom hardwoods and floods completely. The rest is just typical Magnolia oaks and yaupon. The last big flood we had this spring put the mud line in the trees over 8ft off the ground down in the bottoms. I have tried food plots before with very little success. Once the seeds got floated out from rain. Another never took because we went 60 days without rain. I don't want to waste a bunch of time and money trying to get food plots to take every year and have them destroyed or never take. We are seeing a lot of encroachment from development on all sides except one. We have also tried protein feeders but they get flooded as well. Im kind of at a loss. I feel like when the acorns are gone the deer almost leave the country. At least that is my perception. That includes the spring. I feel like all our deer are gone but I want to have a place where they never feel the need to move on when there are no acorns. Its funny seeing all the post and other published material about making sure to find the acorns and youll be successful. Ha! We could feed a nation with al the acorns we have.

I feel like we could have one of the best places in the area but for some reason we just don't. We have a ton of does, no real big deer to speak of; 130 is a really big deer for us; and of course, our fawns don't seem to be doing well. I don't really know the right answer. I would love to be able to have some amazing food plots through spring and fall and run protein feeders to give the deer the very best nutrition possible but Im not sure how to make it happen. I know the quality of bucks that are in all the neighborhoods surrounding us and I believe I know that they just have everything those bucks need. They just don't have a reason to come to our place except during the rut but that doesn't even seem to happen either. I do know that neighbors kill way too many deer on their side. I honestly don't feel angry about it and I have no reason/right to infringe on their using their land legally and for whatever reason they would like. We have plenty of land and they are free to do whatever they wish. I know for a fact they cant kill every single big deer that comes on our place.

Honestly, Im just hoping someone can see something I cant or has some personal experience with land like ours that can shed some light on anything we could do to keep improving. I have been pushing hard for family to let young deer walk and I can definitely see an improvement but it just doesn't seem to be making as big of a difference as I thought. All those 2-3 year old deer we pass up just don't seem to be around anywhere the next year. Anyways, any help yall can send my way would be great. I want us to be good stewards of the land and to have a great place to hunt for as long as we can afford. I am happy to send/post aerials or topos or whatever if that is something that could help. Thanks guys.

My place floods every time someone flushes a toilet I know exactly what you are saying I built up some high spots for feeders out of the flood plane. I also joined a MLD coop and I am encouraging all my neighbors to join also. Since my place is only 50 acres ain't much I can do on my own so I am hoping the coop helps.

Comment

Main problem is there are no deer in east texas!

Comment

Originally posted by ethic1 View Post
        Main problem is there are no deer in east texas!

Goodnight. Well that's my problem right there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe you should get older deer out there , simply because of all the developments going in.. My cousin lives out there and I've seen a few older deer in his backyard. As for the neighbors, that's a factor you can't control but you can still grow older deer. I would do free choice protein from Jan - Aug supplemented with cottonseed . Take trail cam pics of the deer and do not shoot anything less than 4.5. A few food plot ma would be a great idea if you can but water needs to be available year around either a trough, windmill, or tote. It can be be done don't get discouraged.

Comment

I got to ask about your camera survey, are these camera's only at feeders or do you have them on a bunch of trails? I ask this because if I only went off camera pics on feeders only, one would think we have very few deer and very poor fawn population. Very few mature bucks hit our feeders and even less doe's bring their young fawns to feeders. I see the majority of deer on camera's that are set up on trails. I also flood up as I'm on the Guadalupe river bottom and all the floods this year and last year have hurt our deer population a little. I also assume you have a decent pig population on your place and if your wanting to manage for deer, you should have feed pens around all your feeders because the pigs will really limit the deer hitting the feeders big time.

Comment

130 is not a big deer for that area. The deer have huge potential.maybe you are not getting pics of your best deer. Unless someone around you is not letting the deer age.

Comment

Need to control burn to get rid of underbrush and cut some trees down to open the place up for new growth. Get some protein feeders up on high ground and start feeding you will have to control the hogs if you have a lot of them as well. As far as fawns some could have drowned in the flood or predator problems.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                  I got to ask about your camera survey, are these camera's only at feeders or do you have them on a bunch of trails? I ask this because if I only went off camera pics on feeders only, one would think we have very few deer and very poor fawn population. Very few mature bucks hit our feeders and even less doe's bring their young fawns to feeders. I see the majority of deer on camera's that are set up on trails. I also flood up as I'm on the Guadalupe river bottom and all the floods this year and last year have hurt our deer population a little. I also assume you have a decent pig population on your place and if your wanting to manage for deer, you should have feed pens around all your feeders because the pigs will really limit the deer hitting the feeders big time.

I hand only use hand corn for our camera surveys. None of them are set on feeders. Hand corned trails all the way. Hogs are a HUGE problem this year. Worse than they ever have been before. We are going to be hammering them as well. I really do wonder if the flooding caught some of our fawns and they couldn't get out.

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
                  130 is not a big deer for that area. The deer have huge potential.maybe you are not getting pics of your best deer. Unless someone around you is not letting the deer age.

I completely agree that there is huge potential. I just can't justify in my mind that surrounding properties are able to kill that many deer. I do know at least one neighbor that kills way too many for his 10 acres. They shot 4 bucks off it last year. 8, 2-10's, and a 12. But that is only 10 acres on one fence of our 1200. Just can't figure it out. I think I am going to try my best to find good high spots down in the bottoms where I can get a protein feeder and it can stay out of high water. I know I'll be limited but I really want to do something.
                  How many protein feeders should we put on that many acres with that type of cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SouthTX1911 View Post
                    I hand only use hand corn for our camera surveys. None of them are set on feeders. Hand corned trails all the way. Hogs are a HUGE problem this year. Worse than they ever have been before. We are going to be hammering them as well. I really do wonder if the flooding caught some of our fawns and they couldn't get out.
                    I don't like to put out corn at my spots on trails until right before deer season because if I do the pigs take them over and I will get a lot less pictures of deer then if there was no corn. For example, this year at one of my spots on a trail I decided to put some corn out at even though I knew better from past experience. I was getting several deer pics every day before I put the corn out. After I put the corn(50lbs) out I had four deer pics the first afternoon and then 600 pics of pigs after that and not another pic of a deer for a entire week. Now since I haven't put corn out in a while the deer are back to using that trail. I will start to put corn out around Wed. of this week but I will have to shoot some pigs off them probably on opener if I hunt the spot so the deer get a chance to eat some corn. If I start shooting pigs at one spot it will push them back enough that the deer will start hitting the corn during daylight and then the pigs will come in at night and that's OK by me. It's the same way at my feeders and like you, this year the pigs are very bad but I don't mind because I love killing and eating them but they do really limit the deer coming in.

As far as flooding killing the fawns, it might have got some but I would bet most of the doe's know how to avoid the floods for the most part as that is part of their life living in a flood plain. The young doe's with fawns would be the fawns that are most susceptible to dying during a flood. Now if the flood happens right when fawns are being born, that could be a big problem.

I'm by no means saying that this is the best way to do it but it's what works for me on my place.

Comment

Build up some high spots, make some patches of tall grass and food plot, talk with your neighbors and see what they have planned if anything at all. East Texas is some of the most poached/little managed region in Texas. Pigs will push deer off so on the off season you should be killing and trapping. I have a new buyer but for your area I'd have too look and see who is closest. Feel free to contact me and we can discuss options and services that we provide.

Comment

I have heard this for years, and I dont doubt its true a little farther east ( especially Montgomery up to New Waverly etc but I grew up about 5 miles from where I believe his property is and we never saw huge deer. And honestly we were on neighboring properties of thousands of acres both day and night. ( we had permission to be on the property as kids, when it wasnt deer season ) And I do mean both day and night. It is the same way where I live now, a few miles from the Grimes, Waller, Montgomery county lines. Some decent deer, not many. And the bucks over 1 1/2yo dont go to feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                          I have heard this for years, and I dont doubt its true a little farther east ( especially Montgomery up to New Waverly etc but I grew up about 5 miles from where I believe his property is and we never saw huge deer. And honestly we were on neighboring properties of thousands of acres both day and night. ( we had permission to be on the property as kids, when it wasnt deer season ) And I do mean both day and night. It is the same way where I live now, a few miles from the Grimes, Waller, Montgomery county lines. Some decent deer, not many. And the bucks over 1 1/2yo dont go to feeders.
                          I live only a few miles from where i think he is and see 150 inch deer at least 1 or 2 times a year in random spots..I grew up in spring but was amazed at some of the deer i see. I work for the power company so im always out at weird hrs and in isolated places, with a spot light handy[emoji6]

Comment

We apparently had a low fawn crop this year too. Usually the does with fawns will come to the feeder here once they are a month or so old. I have seen 1 fawn on the property this year. None at the feeder. I only have 10ac so this isnt a definitive study, clearly, but it is unusual. ( for the record I dont shoot deer off the feeder )

Comment

I live only a few miles from where i think he is and see 150 inch deer at least 1 or 2 times a year in random spots..I grew up in spring but was amazed at some of the deer i see. I work for the power company so im always out at weird hrs and in isolated places, with a spot light handy[emoji6]
                              Midsouth? Do you know Wayne F? Retired a few years ago, hunts a few properties around here. ( I work in Montgomery )

Comment

Working...
                              X