5.5 for management deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
    Depends on the goals of the ranch/lease. On our lease, I want to grow 150"+ trophy deer. This seems to be about the top end our country can produce consistently. There will be the occasional 160 or 170, but I KNOW it can do 150's regularly. Anyway, I don't pay much attention to a buck at 1 or 2. At 3 I'll look them over and see what redeeming qualities they have and most of the time they get a pass. At 4 we really look at them hard and make some decisions. Do they have the potential to hit 150 in a few years? Or at least get close? If there is any hint of that potential they are plenty safe. I always err in favor of the deer. A 5 year old that only scores in the 120's will likely get shot. If he's over 130, he's VERY safe as these are the bucks that will most likely hit our goal in a few more years. At that age and score, he could possibly hit 150 in 2 or 3 more years. A 6 year old needs to be knocking on 140".

We don't have a hard and steadfast age rule on culls/management deer. If they are total junk at 3 then I don't want to wait another 2 or 3 years to HOPE they do something spectacular. We have too many other bucks with greater potential. And notice I didn't say anything about spikes. I think in 10 years we've killed one or two for some kids first deer, but that's it. In our situation I don't think killing spikes is beneficial. But I can totally understand on other ranches it may be a necessity.

Anyway, that's a quick rundown of what we do.
    Pretty much the same way we manage ours also

Comment

Working...
    X