Decline of the Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decline of the Ten

This ten point got hurt at the tail end of rut last year and never fully recovered until mid way through summer. It obviously affected his antler growth so my plan is to pass him up this year and hope for the best going into next year. I had high hopes for him until his incident set him back.

Last edited by hillcountryhunter; 10-14-2016, 05:01 PM.

To be honest, he wasn't that great of a 10 then either and at that age then, I bet he's close to max development. Even if he is recovering, I think he's reaching post-mature soon and will continue to lose antler development.

Do him a favor: dirt nap!

Comment

I'm thinking 6.5-7.5 this year. Probably won't ever make 130

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
        To be honest, he wasn't that great of a 10 then either and at that age then, I bet he's close to max development. Even if he is recovering, I think he's reaching post-mature soon and will continue to lose antler development.

Bingo

Comment

Should have killed him last year. Not sure why he was passed unless you never saw him while hunting. All he will do this year is keep better, younger bucks off feed.
          Last edited by TxHuntFish; 09-12-2016, 06:47 AM.

Comment

He would be a management deer for my place due to age and lack of desired frame

Comment

Originally posted by TxHuntFish View Post
              Should have killed him last year. Not sure why he was passed unless you never saw him while hunting. All he will do this year is keep better, younger bucks off feed.
              He was on the list to be killed last year but was never seen while hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post

x2! Perfect cull

Comment

I say pass him(like you are planning on doing) and see what he does next year. No point in "culling" a main framed 10 unless your sex ratio is where you want it to be and he has the worst set of antlers for his age class. It's fun watching deer get old and then trying to outsmart them.

Comment

shooter

Comment

Working...
                    X