No Brow Tines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
    They can and will grow and loose browtines. At any age.
    X2

Comment

Based on the TPWD research as shown in the above posts and talking to them back in the 80's after they did the research, no brow tines is a very heritable trait that will be passed on readily. My choice based on that, has always been to remove those deer without brow tines regardless of age, taking into account all extenuating circumstances and management goals.

Comment

As a 1.5 y/o, if it's antlers are branched at all, it should at the least have noticeable bumps for brows. At 2.5 and older, no brows gets them a ticket to the cull list.

Comment

I have pictures of big6 at 3 yrs old and no brows. And a nice 8 as a 4yr old.

Comment

We've seen brows change up and come and go. Probably not by big a percentage but we have seen it happen.
            That's why I really prefer to have history as they are getting older.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
              Killem all after they turn 2.
              This would work.
              Seems to be genetics

Comment

This deer had no brows until he was 3 and then they were very tiny....we named him "no brows" because of it...here at 5 he's a lower 70s deer even with 1.5 inch brow tines. Crazy to think most places would have shot him because he was "inferior ".

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

We had that problem SW of Ozona 15 years ago. First year on the place I got video of a huge 3x3 with no brows. I should of shot him and shoulder mounted him. Seen him for a few weeks and he disappeared. We noticed the same thing you are seeing and started culling any 2 plus year old missing brows and older 8pts not showing good potential. We also passed on bucks that had more than 8 points unless they were old or mature and you were going to shoulder mount it. We fed protein Feb-Sept and corn year around. It was a good place for the kiddos to grow up as it was a target rich environment. Lots of good memories hunting that area.

Comment

Working...
                  X