Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Out of Focus Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he scored 235 last year, he has to be in the 300"s. It would be an all day job trying to score that deer.

Comment

Out of Focus Buck

That's an incredible story Paul...thanks for sharing. Wow. I'm not even gonna guess a score. Way outta my league.

Comment

Cool story, I guess in the 300's for sure.

Comment

Holy moly! I absolutely loved the way he looked as a 2 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub Buck View Post
            At what age will y'all decide to shoot him?
            As you can imagine, this buck is very special in an open pasture environment. The good luck involved in getting a buck of this caliber even in a pen by a breeder is significant. Because of that, shooting 21 is about the lowest priority possible on the owner's list.

What is high on his list is the desire to get as much of 21's genes into the ranch doe population. Ideally it would be great to set up breeding pens and somehow put him in there, but the owner is not a deer breeder and therefore we will have to hope that he is a horny dude and finds as many estrus does as possible and is successful in breeding them.

21 has a lot of bucks in the pasture that will have something to say about his breeding success, some are older and/or more aggressive. 21's antlers will not overly impress some of them so it is reasonable that he might only breed with a few does in a season. With all of that in mind the longer he can live the better are the odds that we will get to see what his offspring look like.

This is the same thought process followed by most ranch managers. They may not have a 21 but they sure let their best bucks live long enough to spread their genes as widely as possible. It takes time and patience but is fun along the way and hopefully can lead to superior results. The results on a ranch like this one can not be compared with those on most places, I think that thought applies to every location so the comparisons that really count are those in comparable environments. Easier said than done when looking at a great mount on the game room wall.

Comment

Impressive recap Paul...thanks for sharing. I would love to hear hear more about this place.

Comment

This is just a follow-up to the story above.

I was sitting at the ranch yesterday afternoon and finally got to see that amazing buck #21 again. This is only the second time that I have seen him in person and he looks so much better than he did in velvet or has on game cam pictures. There is no action in this movie, in fact, he lies down while I am filming but you will get an outstanding chance to really study his antlers. Several bucks have already broken points but from what I could tell he appears to be whole. He is not too shabby for a 3 yo buck, eh? Check him out at full screen on a PC for a real treat.

Buck #21 in hard antler.

Comment

!00% gurantee I would be laying my head down to take a nap.

Comment

As my old man taught me..."Never miss the perfect opportunity to keep your mouth shut".

That's one heck of a deer. I know how much work goes into those breeder bucks. Awesome stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by venado View Post
                      As you can imagine, this buck is very special in an open pasture environment. The good luck involved in getting a buck of this caliber even in a pen by a breeder is significant. Because of that, shooting 21 is about the lowest priority possible on the owner's list.

What is high on his list is the desire to get as much of 21's genes into the ranch doe population. Ideally it would be great to set up breeding pens and somehow put him in there, but the owner is not a deer breeder and therefore we will have to hope that he is a horny dude and finds as many estrus does as possible and is successful in breeding them.

21 has a lot of bucks in the pasture that will have something to say about his breeding success, some are older and/or more aggressive. 21's antlers will not overly impress some of them so it is reasonable that he might only breed with a few does in a season. With all of that in mind the longer he can live the better are the odds that we will get to see what his offspring look like.

This is the same thought process followed by most ranch managers. They may not have a 21 but they sure let their best bucks live long enough to spread their genes as widely as possible. It takes time and patience but is fun along the way and hopefully can lead to superior results. The results on a ranch like this one can not be compared with those on most places, I think that thought applies to every location so the comparisons that really count are those in comparable environments. Easier said than done when looking at a great mount on the game room wall.
                      Venado, why don't ya'll DMP him? Guarantee he is the breeder and keep him from getting killed in a fight.
                      He's really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                        Venado, why don't ya'll DMP him? Guarantee he is the breeder and keep him from getting killed in a fight.
                        He's really nice.
                        Thanks for the comment bukkskin. The DMP issues associated with getting a bunch of does and buck 21 in a pen have been discussed with the owner but he really wants to see what "normal" pasture breeding will yield. He has no interest at all in getting a really large deer herd that has to be significantly culled to fit the property.

Comment

Originally posted by venado View Post
                          Thanks for the comment bukkskin. The DMP issues associated with getting a bunch of does and buck 21 in a pen have been discussed with the owner but he really wants to see what "normal" pasture breeding will yield. He has no interest at all in getting a really large deer herd that has to be significantly culled to fit the property.
                          Understood and thanks for the reply. It would be hard for me to not want to lock him up with at least 10 native does for a few months until the fighting stops. But, you gotta respect the land owners wishes, good luck to ya'll and #21. He's a Stud for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X