Food plot for turkeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot for turkeys?

What can I incorporate in my winter food plot to help feed the turkeys? Anything I plant is probably not going to bloom and seed as the deer eat everything before it gets that big.

I plant Buckforage oats for deer. I guess the turkey love em too cause they're always in the oats(probably getting bugs at first) but eating the oats when they headout. In spring they love the dove mix I plant from Turner seed.

Comment

Chufa is just about as good as it gets for turkey food.

Comment

2x
        Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
        Chufa is just about as good as it gets for turkey food.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
          What can I incorporate in my winter food plot to help feed the turkeys? Anything I plant is probably not going to bloom and seed as the deer eat everything before it gets that big.
          Kurdawg, check out nwtf.com

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            Kurdawg, check out nwtf.com

Thanks good info there. Looks like what I've been planting is good to go. I mainly plant oats and Crimson clover. I think this year I'll throw in some peas also.

Comment

Chufa, if you can keep pigs from rooting it up

Comment

All the cereal grains will work if left to eventually head out in the spring. Clovers and such are great too as in the spring they are great and preferred areas for bugging... Another great practice for keeping and holding turkeys is to mow. Mow heavy deep grass as they won't walk through it as well. They like shorter vegetation where they can see and move better....

Comment

winter wheat

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                    All the cereal grains will work if left to eventually head out in the spring. Clovers and such are great too as in the spring they are great and preferred areas for bugging... Another great practice for keeping and holding turkeys is to mow. Mow heavy deep grass as they won't walk through it as well. They like shorter vegetation where they can see and move better....
                    The thing about cereal grains is they are liked by deer, so they wont have the opportunity to head out if there is a significant deer population. You could also try milo...deer tend to not eat the plant but when it seeds it will be available to both turkey and deer.

Comment

I was wondering about chufa myself. If I plant chufa this fall, that gives the hogs an awful lot of time to wipe it out before spring rolls around.

Comment

Working...
                      X