Question on Planting Oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Planting Oats

So 2/3 of our property has been under water since basically October with the floods and a broken levee. Now, after two months of dry weather the water has finally receded... but the ground looks like a barren wasteland. So my question is if we are planning on planting oats, do we need to even disc it first? It's basically just flat cracked blackland dirt right now. Can we just broadcast the seed with a spreader then lightly disc over them to cover them? I'm thinking maybe we can skip the whole disc first then broadcast...thoughts?

I would disc then broadcast. Break up that hard dirt before you plant.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
      So 2/3 of our property has been under water since basically October with the floods and a broken levee. Now, after two months of dry weather the water has finally receded... but the ground looks like a barren wasteland. So my question is if we are planning on planting oats, do we need to even disc it first? It's basically just flat cracked blackland dirt right now. Can we just broadcast the seed with a spreader then lightly disc over them to cover them? I'm thinking maybe we can skip the whole disc first then broadcast...thoughts?
      I do this when I plant, broadcast seed and fertilizer and plow very shallow...works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        I do this when I plant, broadcast seed and fertilizer and plow very shallow...works for me.
        X2

Comment

I would disk first then drag to cover the seed. If the cracks are too deep they will never come up.

Comment

Working...
          X