Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Whack or Walk: Cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whack or Walk: Cull

Whack or walk?

Photos are from 2014, 2015 & 2016. Low fence.
    Attached Files

Seems like such a disparity between the buck in the first two pics and the one in the last age wise.

I think I would have to pop the buck in the last pic.

Comment

I would go ahead and take him if you have the chance. Will look really cool as a Euro!

Comment

Choot 'em! Really unique

Comment

I say Whack

Comment

Whack. Wouldn't risk genetic issue plus he's a unique buck thats mature.

Comment

Any video of him or have you seen him in person? Does he limp? Does he have some kind of injury on his left side? If so, then it's probably not a genetic thing with that right antler.

Comment

No limp. He's giant bodied. Best guess is he's 3 this year, basing the first year as his yearling year. Its almost like he was born deformed. The spike side pedicle starts about an inch above his eye. Giant pedicle. Was hoping he would eventually get right. Unsure if that is going to happen after getting his pics from this year. Agree though, still a cool buck.

Comment

Zoom of the pedicle.
                  Attached Files

Comment

should be 4 this hunting season and has no tine length, needs a dirt nap.

Comment

Originally posted by Truckville View Post
                      Zoom of the pedicle.
                      I think you answered your own question, looks to be pedicle damage and not genetic. He'll be deformed forever, but you never know what kind of a cool rack he may throw off of that side.

Comment

that first pic of him was at 1.5 so wouldn't he be 3.5 this November I would let him go based in it's an injury
                        Last edited by RRagan83; 08-09-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Whack!

Comment

Whack!

Comment

I'd let him grow. In my opinion, that isn't a genetic issue; looks like a pretty clear pedicle injury as its growing in an abnormal spot. I'd give him at least another year and see if he doesn't really start throwing some trash on that side. Had more trash on his right side in 2015 season, I would bet that comes back in full force next season (2017).

I would still classify him as a cull, and if you are looking to take out mouths he should certainly be considered. Personally, I would just like to see how much of a 'freak' he could become.

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                              Seems like such a disparity between the buck in the first two pics and the one in the last age wise.

I think I would have to pop the buck in the last pic.
                              OP said (and time stamp shows) that's the same buck in three consecutive years.

Originally posted by RRagan83 View Post
                              that first pic of him was at 1.5 so wouldn't he be 4.5 this November
                              That's what I am seeing as well.

Edit: brain fart. He would be 3.5 this season
                              Last edited by Patton; 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X