Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Protein/Salt Block Recommendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein/Salt Block Recommendations...

I was looking to put some of these out around our property. Mostly at a couple of our new feeder locations. What brands do you all use? Also how do you place them out... just on the ground, hang them, or do you have a feeder?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge!

I tried the antlermax blocks hogs and coons ate em in a few days. now I'm only using trophy rock they last a few months. Totally different types of blocks antlermax is a protein block trophy rock is mineral.

Comment

I just put out a Record Rack 14% block berry flavored. TSC Has them for $8 right now. 30# block. I put them out at my parents house and Mom said the deer are fighting over it.

Comment

Trophy Rock

Comment

I've always used good 'ol livestock blocks. You sure get your moneys worth out of them and my deer can't get enough of licking on them. A 50# block will run you about 6 bucks and its got about everything the more expensive block got in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texahoman View Post
            I've always used good 'ol livestock blocks. You sure get your moneys worth out of them and my deer can't get enough of licking on them. A 50# block will run you about 6 bucks and its got about everything the more expensive block got in them.
            I tried these and didn't work very well for me. The best I have used so far is big and J or acorn rage blocks.

Comment

I have used the Purina Quick Draw Blocks & also the Record Rack Berry Block. I generally just lay them on the ground, but I would like to get a feeder for blocks

Comment

I used a Big and J block 2 years ago. I want to say it was around $30. Put it in the feeder pin infront of my trail cam and watched it disappear. Disappear as is it sat there and rotted and crumbled into a pile of dust and nothing at all ate it.... not even the coons. I was not impressed at all.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will have to stop by TSC and see what I can find. Also will do some more google searches on making some kind of stand for it.

Comment

I like the wild berry record rack block deer and axis love them

Comment

Trophy rocks for me. It takes a few months but the deer keep coming back to the same spot. They have dug a hole looking for more.

Comment

Originally posted by bmactx67 View Post
                        Trophy rocks for me. It takes a few months but the deer keep coming back to the same spot. They have dug a hole looking for more.
                        This...our deer love them.

Comment

X2 we have been doing this for 15+ years and our deer love them. Lots of tc pics of them licking the blocks. Anytime I put out a new one I put some hand corn on and around the block. Not sure if this makes a difference but it makes me feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by WTX View Post
                            X2 we have been doing this for 15+ years and our deer love them. Lots of tc pics of them licking the blocks. Anytime I put out a new one I put some hand corn on and around the block. Not sure if this makes a difference but it makes me feel better.
                            Yep, usually sprinkle something I know they like around the blocks to get them started. Maybe even scrape some of the salt off onto what you sprinkle out.

Comment

This is all I use. It may be your location. Mine is in the protein pen and the deer lick on it almost daily. Best times they lick them are may-sept IMO. I just leave one out there year round.

Comment

Working...
                              X