Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Food Plot Recomendation - Black Gumbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Recomendation - Black Gumbo

Are there any good options for a fall food plot for black gumbo river bottom land that is not drained well? Usually this area stay pretty wet in the winter time.

Also, plan to throw and mow or no-till this spot?
    Last edited by JeffK; 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM.

Rice maybe?

Comment

Oats will grow just about anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
        Oats will grow just about anywhere.
        If its that wet rust may kill'em

Comment

Planted oats before in this spot. It did okay at first but seemed to play out towards December.

Will Elbon Rye work? My understanding is that it prefers well drained soil?

Are there any brassicas that do well in poorly drained areas?

Comment

I am the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. We have a Forage-Max Chicory that does well in poor soils. The best thing for you to do would be to first get a soil sample of the plot so you know what your working with. If it's a place that has always been pretty wet you might run into some issues with Ph or other deficiencies that would prevent anything from growing well. There is a place I recommend out of Ohio called Logan Labs. Their samples are the most detailed I have seen and they are very reasonable on the price. You can get the sample kits and instructions from their website.

Comment

Working...
            X