Attached Files

Comment

who knows how oldClick image for larger version

Name:	WGI_1001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	24454007

Comment

Notice where the belly is at in relation to the knee. The 3 year old is even or above it, the older buck his belly is below the knee.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Well, Im not real good at this, but here goes. He looks long legged, that's the first thing I noticed, which tells me he is young-3 year old. Neck is still kinda slender, doesn't look like a doe with horns, but doesn't look real mature. 3 years old. Cant see his face. Antlers, which are not an indication of age or maturity, but is a gauge for quality. Neck to head, I see no sign of loose skin/waddle, matter of a fact, no loose skin anywhere. 3 years old. No oversized belly which tells me he is youngish. 3 years old.

I say he is a very good 3 year old.
          I agree with this might even be 4 at the very most. I'm just not seeing the old man features every one else is I guess

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Comment

He's no spring chicken ...way to much muscle definition...he's at least 5.5 this fall

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              He's no spring chicken ...way to much muscle definition...he's at least 5.5 this fall

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
              Yep and that neck runs down into the brisket.. He's gonna be a stout dude end of November

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                I agree with this might even be 4 at the very most. I'm just not seeing the old man features every one else is I guess

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
                I agree, 4 at the most. If the Op has the fortitude to chance letting him go, man oh man could he be something. Remember, most bucks aren't fully grown till 6 years of age. he could be a monster, I don't know the situation on this buck, public land, private land, lease, property size, if he is a roamer or has a small core area. Nice buck for sure.

Comment

I have a couple of more pictures of him. No one around has seen him before. It is a timber company lease. Not far from another timber company lease. Don't know if he will hang around or not. Hope to have more pictures of him this weekend.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1470307879280.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	24454167Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1470307889065.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	24454168Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1470307908438.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	24454169

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mature 5+

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      Well, Im not real good at this, but here goes. He looks long legged, that's the first thing I noticed, which tells me he is young-3 year old. Neck is still kinda slender, doesn't look like a doe with horns, but doesn't look real mature. 3 years old. Cant see his face. Antlers, which are not an indication of age or maturity, but is a gauge for quality. Neck to head, I see no sign of loose skin/waddle, matter of a fact, no loose skin anywhere. 3 years old. No oversized belly which tells me he is youngish. 3 years old.

I say he is a very good 3 year old.
                      Everything you are saying is correct......If this pic was in November or even mid october but its July.

You can't use same body comparisons for all times of the year. In summer time you have to look at different features on a deer and not all deer age the same so you can't look at all of them the same. I usually go thru a checklist of features. If enough check off towards older i go with that and in the case of aging deer in mid summer I take the age I think they look and add a year.

(First Pic)
                      On this buck the first thing that popps out is his brisket is very full and neck meets it low. Second is the slight sway in back even tho he appears to be standing straight. His flank is not as full as I would expect a 5.5 plus deer to be even for july. I think the position he is standing makes his back legs look longer than the front(usually signifies a younger deer), but I believe it's an illusion.

Over all I would lean towards 5.5.

Edit
                      I just noticed OP posted more pics. These different angles show his body better. His flanks seem to have some fat pockets in them and his girth appears to be the same if not thicker from his shoulders to his hams.
                      Def at least 5.5 but I would lean to 6.5 on these pics.
                      Last edited by KactusKiller; 08-04-2016, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        Everything you are saying is correct......If this pic was in November or even mid october but its July.
                        Bingo! It's very difficult to pin an exact age on a buck this time of year without any history with him. They end up looking a year or 2 older when they get geared up for the rut (mid/late October to November as KactusKiller said).

Comment

The belly, well defined brisket, slight sway in back makes me think he is 5.5 years old this Fall. Nice one!
                          Last edited by AggieMike88; 08-04-2016, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X