Another Food Plot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Food Plot Question

I'm planning to plant some small plots on ROW's and fire lanes this year on our East Texas lease using the spread seed and mow method. Not sure what I will be planting but will likely include oats, some type of cereal rye and maybe clover.

My issue is the ROW's will be mowed by contractors sometimes in Sept-Oct. but I haven't been able to get anything narrowed down.

Would I be better off Spreading seed before it is mowed and risk it being 3 or 4 weeks before they come and mow or waiting until after it is mowed and spreading the seed on top of the thatch followed by dragging with something?

Plant something that will grow back after being cut.
    I would plant early as possible. 1 pass wont hurt it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Plant something that will grow back after being cut.
      I would plant early as possible. 1 pass wont hurt it.
      Any suggestions on what to plant? They will be using 15-20 ft bat wings so I don't think they will mow any shorter than 6-8 inches. I wouldn't think anything that has sprouted prior the mowing would be much higher than that even if it ends up being 4 weeks after I plant.

Comment

I think your going to have a hard time getting anything going. You really need good soil contact for germination. It will depend on how thick the stuff is and when it's mowed down. If it's thick grass it can work but if it's thick stall plants there will be big gaps and seed may not grow.

I'm the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas and we have some seed blends that do well being spread and dragged that would probably work with your situation. If you have any questions feel free to message me any time.

Comment

Several on here do the no plow with great results. Deerfarmer and Elgato do this method with great success

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Several on here do the no plow with great results. Deerfarmer and Elgato do this method with great success
            Yea I have followed their threads for a while, that is what led me to try this. The difference is they are mowing immediately following seeding and I may not get so lucky depending on someone else to do the mowing.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              Any suggestions on what to plant? They will be using 15-20 ft bat wings so I don't think they will mow any shorter than 6-8 inches. I wouldn't think anything that has sprouted prior the mowing would be much higher than that even if it ends up being 4 weeks after I plant.
              Brassica(Rape) and Winter Wheat. Im not sure if peas or beans will bounce back after being mowed. Clover would be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                Yea I have followed their threads for a while, that is what led me to try this. The difference is they are mowing immediately following seeding and I may not get so lucky depending on someone else to do the mowing.
                I will tell you what done with my Spring plot and it turned out great. I drilled/lightly plowed through standing Rye. The Soybeans came up and are growing despite being browsed daily. I was impressed to say the least.

Comment

I think you can get this done if what they are mowing is not a heavy or thick growth of grass. Grass can choke out most everything. If its grass and allowed, you might ask about spraying some roundup if it is thick grass. Spray before they mow. You can add seed prior to them mowing and let the cutting cover it. I would plant Elbon rye and a red clover. I think oats would be costly trying to get them going this way, they like to be covered with dirt. Planting to early can be a problem so I would hope they wait till mid to late Sept before they cut. But don't get discouraged if they mow now, as long as you can see some dirt for good soil to seed contact, I think you might get some going if you can add seed just before a good rain. Remember these seeds need soil contact, rain and sunlight. Hope it works out for u

Comment

Waiting allows cooler weather, if you plant too early and have some 90°F to 100°F days the tender winter crops could be killed.

Comment

I always planted too early and prayed for rain
                      I now wait till October and have had much better success in the long run.

BP

Comment

For us in Texas (outside of north Texas), we have a hard time getting a good food plot going and ready before the bow season opener, mostly because of lack of rain and the hotter temps we can have in September. I wait until late September, even early October to plant. It doesn't do much for you during early bow season, but by the time late Oct/Nov get here, the plots are ready and being browsed. I would wait until the end of September and try the throw and mow method. The rye/clover/chickory mix should be fine with that method. Just guessing, but the oats won't get as good of germination without some better seed to soil contact because it is a bigger seed

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Think I will pass on the oats and focus on rye/clover and wait until the end of September to plant.

Comment

Working...
                          X