hunting club vs. deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hunting club vs. deer lease

can some one tell me what the difference is? pro's and con's?

Same thing IMO. Most "hunting club's" are deer leases that 1 person holds the lease the subs it out to multiple individuals/families.

Comment

When I hear/see hunting club, I think 3000 acre's with 30 hunters. WhenI hear/see deer lease, I think 3000 acre's with 5 hunters.

In a sense they probably can both be the same depending on the rules and owner of the club or lease. But typically I feel like hunting clubs are more "public" with rules like you can only hunt your one or two stands that are already in place on a feeder. Lease's seem to have more freedom and options.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
        When I hear/see hunting club, I think 3000 acre's with 30 hunters. WhenI hear/see deer lease, I think 3000 acre's with 5 hunters.

In a sense they probably can both be the same depending on the rules and owner of the club or lease. But typically I feel like hunting clubs are more "public" with rules like you can only hunt your one or two stands that are already in place on a feeder. Lease's seem to have more freedom and options.

This pretty much. I think leases are more exclusive towards the hunting where clubs are seem to be more crowded and subject to more outside interests such as logging, surveying and of course oil field.

Comment

Never thought about it that way but this actually seems accurate.

Comment

Spot on here in my opinion

Comment

I've been on both. Only knew about 5 of the other members in the club and the rules were established and not negotiable for the most part. The leases I have been on were smaller groups mostly friends and it seems to be more enjoyable to me. I've had fun and seen some nice animals on both but like the lease environment more.

Comment

I tend to also see the differences coming more from a geographical setting similar to ranches vs. farms.

To me, hunting clubs are typically found east of say I-45 all the way to the east coast and deer leases are more west and south.

Comment

I also have been on both.

I tend to like leases more. Either I'm working directly with the land owner or the lease manager is. Rules are usually set. Everyone for the most part tends to get along. Just more laid back and more space to hunt.

As was said, clubs tend to be more on corporate land with very strict rules. Lease manager collects fees. Ive had some good years on clubs. Had some bad as well. I thought about listing all the issues, but that would need to be another post.

I will say, I would do either before I go back to hunting public land again. Nothing wrong with it, but im getting to old to be fighting rednecks who think they own part of the national forest. lol

Comment

We are a hunting club. It all has to do with how the club or lease is set up and how it deals with ownership, liability etc. (I am no attorney so if you are chime in here). Our club is a LLC and every member signs a company agreement that lays out what your responsibilities and rights of ownership are. Each member has it's prorata share of ownership and expenses. We change leadership from year to year to spread the work of running the operation amongst the group, have a budget, keep books etc. We have 10 members on 5,000 acres. We all own the blinds, the feeders, the housing and barns together. We own our vehicles separately. It really is nice, no member is more important than another. And as a member leaves, they are bought out by the next incoming member at established prices. It really works well and there is no question as to who is responsible for what. I will add that we are all friends, have similar goals and get along.

I have been on leases and in those instances, it was one guy that leased the land and everyone just paid into the lease holder (what we called the lease boss). The lease boss basically ran the thing and depending on the set up was responsible for paying for the lease, the corn, protein etc (depending upon the agreement with each leaseholder). In some instances, if it cost him $100k to run it and if he raised $125k in lease fees then that's what he got. If it came a shortfall, then that's on him too. It is a more informal agreement and I would presume to be the most common used in Texas.

I've had great experiences and great memories on both.
                    Last edited by lanceodom; 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

thanks guys... yea i dont know that a hunting club interest me, i prefer to know everyone that is armed in the same woods i'm in. may be looking to get off the land i'm on in Oklahoma after this season and start lookin for a new lease with a little more acreage

Comment

Working...
                      X