Struggling with form.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling with form.

I have been shooting for about 18 years. Over the past few years I have struggled to hold my pin on the dot/spot I am aiming. I can hold it close, but not right on it. It's like there is a magnetic force field around the dot. I bring my pins up from the bottom when I shoot, so for instance when shooting at 40 I can't get my 30 pin off the dot and get my 40 up on it. It's like my bow weighs a thousand pounds. I do use my waist to raise my pins not my arms. I have tried doing drills where I don't shoot just try and get my pin on the dot lock in and let off. I consistently shoot groups out to 50 yards but there an inch low. I know this has to be a form of "target panic" but I can't kick it. I laid my bow down for six months to try and pic it up and start fresh. Still no luck. Has anyone on the GS ever been through this and how did you overcome it. It doesn't seem to affect me hunting and shooting animals. "Usually an inch don't matter" but sometimes right before I squeeze the trigger I catch my self trying to jerk it up just a touch at the last second.

My bow shoots right where My pin is aimed i just can't hold my pin where I want it when I shoot.
    Last edited by bowtechbandit; 07-27-2016, 07:43 PM.

I have always drawn high and lowered to target and it is worked well but as of late I have been practicing aiming low and raising to target just in case that situation arises in the field.

I know what you are talking about exactly, I have noticed that when I am trying to raise the bow, if I don't focus on keeping the pins exactly inline with the Bulls I becomes much easier and then once i get it somewhat in the target area I focus on getting it close.

I have never been able to hold it exactly still but instead I let my natural rythem take hold and time the shot as it crosses the Bulls.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbrown View Post
      I have always drawn high and lowered to target and it is worked well but as of late I have been practicing aiming low and raising to target just in case that situation arises in the field.

I know what you are talking about exactly, I have noticed that when I am trying to raise the bow, if I don't focus on keeping the pins exactly inline with the Bulls I becomes much easier and then once i get it somewhat in the target area I focus on getting it close.

I have never been able to hold it exactly still but instead I let my natural rythem take hold and time the shot as it crosses the Bulls.
      Thanks for the advice. I have tried bringing my pins down from the top, but it just isn't comfortable for me.

Comment

if you are consistently low then you could be bailing out and not staying in the shot. also, only like .05% of the shooting populous is rock solid steady so pin float IS natural and should be expected. definitely sounds like its in your head, but you also don't sound like a lost cause.

personally I don't raise or lower my bow arm to get my pins on my target I much prefer to draw with them on the target than have to adjust after I am at full draw. you may also look into making sure your bow shoulder is set, riding bone to bone low in the socket. this is a key to holding steady and long term consistency.

Comment

Stop shooting groups.
          Best thing that ever helped me was taking 1 arrow into a shooting course with multiple targets at various ranges. Can't say I'm dead on. But I'm minute of deer accurate out to my hunting distances 30-40 yds. Practice out to 80 comfortably and confidently.

Comment

Maybe you need a smaller pen on your sight. I started using this and it's helped me zero in on the target more.

Comment

Locking up under the dot is target panic, or one form of it anyway.

Go here, buy the CD/DVD, shoot like never before.

http://www.ultimatearcherysolution.com/

AJ the TP Guru is a member here and has been helping people with this exact malady for years.

Or...
              You could spend hours and hours shooting thousands and thousands of arrows at blank bales...

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
                I have been shooting for about 18 years. Over the past few years I have struggled to hold my pin on the dot/spot I am aiming. I can hold it close, but not right on it. It's like there is a magnetic force field around the dot. I bring my pins up from the bottom when I shoot, so for instance when shooting at 40 I can't get my 30 pin off the dot and get my 40 up on it. It's like my bow weighs a thousand pounds. I do use my waist to raise my pins not my arms. I have tried doing drills where I don't shoot just try and get my pin on the dot lock in and let off. I consistently shoot groups out to 50 yards but there an inch low. I know this has to be a form of "target panic" but I can't kick it. I laid my bow down for six months to try and pic it up and start fresh. Still no luck. Has anyone on the GS ever been through this and how did you overcome it. It doesn't seem to affect me hunting and shooting animals. "Usually an inch don't matter" but sometimes right before I squeeze the trigger I catch my self trying to jerk it up just a touch at the last second.

My bow shoots right where My pin is aimed i just can't hold my pin where I want it when I shoot.
                You will probably not be able to hold dead on the spot, the idea is to get the pin float to be as small as possible around the dot. This way when the shot fires you will be centered and the arrow will find it's way. If you are trying to hold steady this may be what is causing you to lock up. Punching the trigger as it swings by the dot is a the best way to induce target panic; just let the shot happen.

I say all that in an effort to illustrate the root cause of this type of target panic.

That big jerk you feel just before the shot is a called flinching, and it will lead to trigger freeze, or not being able to execute the shot. This is because your subconscious mind is at odds with your conscious mind.

I suffered for years with both of these exact forms of target panic one of which eventually led to trigger freeze. I shot tens of thousands of arrows at blank bales over 9 months to overcome it, then I found AJ's CD and was over it in a week.

What you have is nothing new, thousands of people have suffered with it, there is a cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                  You will probably not be able to hold dead on the spot, the idea is to get the pin float to be as small as possible around the dot. This way when the shot fires you will be centered and the arrow will find it's way. If you are trying to hold steady this may be what is causing you to lock up. Punching the trigger as it swings by the dot is a the best way to induce target panic; just let the shot happen.

I say all that in an effort to illustrate the root cause of this type of target panic.

That big jerk you feel just before the shot is a called flinching, and it will lead to trigger freeze, or not being able to execute the shot. This is because your subconscious mind is at odds with your conscious mind.

I suffered for years with both of these exact forms of target panic one of which eventually led to trigger freeze. I shot tens of thousands of arrows at blank bales over 9 months to overcome it, then I found AJ's CD and was over it in a week.

What you have is nothing new, thousands of people have suffered with it, there is a cure.
                  very helpful info. I will look into the CD for sure.

thanks!!

Comment

May not even be related, but if I don't take my blood pressure medicine, I get the same way. Cant hold the pin close to the bull and I feel like my body is fighting against me. Take my meds and im good. There are a lot of things play into accuracy.
                    Last edited by crawdaddct; 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Yes def target panic! I have the exact same problem and been dealing with it for about 8 seasons now, I've tried almost everything. Don't think you ever get rid of it but you just try to manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post

Yes, I have had the same problem. This is what I did and I have no more issues.
                        Shoot from an elevated position. Don't concentrate on your pin, look through or past your pin to the target. Your pin will be fuzzy looking, let you pin float, don't force the pin to stay in one spot, relax and let it float. Shoot at multiple targets with the targets at multiple heights or positions. Without shooting, draw a loaded bow, aim at the ground, bent at the waist, turning your torso as if you were following an animal, shoot. Use this as part of your practice, it helped me.
                        What the deal is, muscle memory is not allowing you to move your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Yes, I have had the same problem. This is what I did and I have no more issues.
                          Shoot from an elevated position. Don't concentrate on your pin, look through or past your pin to the target. Your pin will be fuzzy looking, let you pin float, don't force the pin to stay in one spot, relax and let it float. Shoot at multiple targets with the targets at multiple heights or positions. Without shooting, draw a loaded bow, aim at the ground, bent at the waist, turning your torso as if you were following an animal, shoot. Use this as part of your practice, it helped me.
                          What the deal is, muscle memory is not allowing you to move your bow.
                          that makes sense for sure. good way of describing it is "muscle memory"
                          thanks

Comment

You are welcome. I got those tips from a feller that was a professional and now owns a pro shop. They work. The idea is not to do the same thing day in day out.

Comment

I had the same problem. I put a Control Freak side bar adapter on my Nitrium Turbo & my groups shrank tremendously. When I got my Spyder 30 my 40yrd groups where in the 3" range which I felt should be better, so I installed my side bar set up on the Spyder & I was slapping arrows again. Adds some weight, I have 5oz's hanging off the side bar, but it's well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X