Staging Area Plot In Thick Hardwoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staging Area Plot In Thick Hardwoods

found a clearing in some thick hardwoods that would make a great staging/hidey hole food plot location. sprayed weeded and cleared last weekend, looking to plant labor day weekend. plot will be shaded due to the canopy, but should receive 6 or so hours of sunlight because it is laid out east to west in an off-rectangle shape. any suggestions on seed/prep? place is in rusk co, planning on doing some sort of rye/rapeseed blend. any suggestions appreciated

Winter wheat and rape...stay away from rye. Maybe oats and rape, whatever you do make sure you have some type of brassica, rape is good.

Comment

Remember, plants need sunlight or there won't be much there for the deer. open up the canopy if u can

Comment

I am wondering why u say stay away from rye? Rye has many advantages over other grains, so why no rye cereal grains?

Comment

good point on opening the canopy. rye does well on our place because it can handle the acidic soil

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
            I am wondering why u say stay away from rye? Rye has many advantages over other grains, so why no rye cereal grains?
            Rye is not as nutritious as Winter Wheat or Oats. It can handle the pressure. If you gonna plant something go ahead and plant something thats good for them. Dont get me wrong, my family has killed many deer over Rye grass, I'm not against it, you can plant some better stuff.

Comment

I would love to see this spot. I bet its sweet.

Comment

Plant buck forage oats. We do here in Nacogdoches county and it does very well.

Comment

Heard a bunch about the oats, will have to throw those in a blend this year. will post pics next time i am out

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    Rye is not as nutritious as Winter Wheat or Oats. It can handle the pressure. If you gonna plant something go ahead and plant something thats good for them. Dont get me wrong, my family has killed many deer over Rye grass, I'm not against it, you can plant some better stuff.
                    Deer farmer is not talking about rye grass.....he's talking about cereal rye.....like elbon. On average the protein content is higher in cereal rye than oats or wheat....but there's not a big difference.

Comment

Interested in seeing the finished product when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        Deer farmer is not talking about rye grass.....he's talking about cereal rye.....like elbon. On average the protein content is higher in cereal rye than oats or wheat....but there's not a big difference.
                        My bad....I would know nothing about cereal rye.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          My bad....I would know nothing about cereal rye.
                          I'm with you about rye grass. Can't stand that stuff.

Sent from my GS7

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            I'm with you about rye grass. Can't stand that stuff.

Sent from my GS7
                            Back in the day that's all my grandfather would plant and we killed deer off of Rye grass patches, but its pretty much useless as far as nutrition. Peas? My grandfather wouldn't plant a pea for a deer to eat, that was for him to eat.

Comment

I'm the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. Take a look at our Max Attract. It's a perfect "kill plot" mix especially in the type of are you are looking at. If you have any questions feel free to message me and I'd be happy to help you out.

Comment

Working...
                              X