Plot prep question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot prep question

alright boys and girls need ya'll opinions or past experiences.

we are cutting in 3 new plots this year. 2, oats and 1 brassica. we worked over winter to get some trees cleared out and now we're ready to start prepping the land. my question to ya'll is..... would ya'll spray the area first with Roundup ( grass/weed killer) then come back and plow in a few weeks OR plow 1st then spray right after plowing and come back in a few weeks and plow again??

my thought is plow then spray that way you can get to more of the exposed roots and smaller trash that your sprayer wouldn't hit? either way we plan on disc-ing 3 times before we plant in mid September. i'm just trying to figure out the best way to get the area prepped for the purest food plot.

thanks for ya'lls advice in advance.

I would say to spray first. Wait a week and see how good of a kill you got and reapply if necessary. Then run your disc. That's just my opinion anyway. I like to kill as much of the grass off prior to putting a disc in the ground. That's the method that has seemed to work better for me anyway. When I have run the disc first it seemed to me that the weeds and undesirables came back in force quicker.

Comment

I don't understand all the spraying for weeds. The weeds we have now are summer weeds and are going to die off anyways. We never spray for weeds before we plant. We disc everything up real good and the heat kills the roots. We will plant in late Sept first of October. We will have a few winter weeds but nothing to bad.

Comment

It is my understanding that weed killer works by being absorbed through the leaf of the plant. If this is true, turning over the soil will not help the process. If anything, it makes it more difficult for the weed killer to reach all grass and weeds.

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area. Just in putting in my thoughts.

Comment

I usually disk just once (maybe twice if soil condition and regrowth dictate) and then plant. Weed control is not nearly as difficult an issue on fall plots as it is with spring plots. Like BrandonA said, you may have a few, but no major issue. It is a food plot, not and industrial farm. Scott1022 is correct about the absorption. Spraying regrowth is an option if necessary, but spray immediately following plowing would be a waste of money and effort for the most part.

Comment

My experience is to spray first, wait a couple of weeks for them to die, and then disc. I have found that it is difficult to try to cut thru standing grass and weeds if it is very thick and green with a disc. Another thing, others probably have more real life with growing brassicas in Texas, but I am not sure how that will go. Generally brassicas are not very palatable to deer until after a freeze or two and I am not so sure you can get enough freezing weather until too late in the season to really be practical.

Comment

Originally posted by wreckem04 View Post
              alright boys and girls need ya'll opinions or past experiences.

we are cutting in 3 new plots this year. 2, oats and 1 brassica. we worked over winter to get some trees cleared out and now we're ready to start prepping the land. my question to ya'll is..... would ya'll spray the area first with Roundup ( grass/weed killer) then come back and plow in a few weeks OR plow 1st then spray right after plowing and come back in a few weeks and plow again??

my thought is plow then spray that way you can get to more of the exposed roots and smaller trash that your sprayer wouldn't hit? either way we plan on disc-ing 3 times before we plant in mid September. i'm just trying to figure out the best way to get the area prepped for the purest food plot.

thanks for ya'lls advice in advance.
              Spray first, then drill the seed...I wouldn't plow or disc. Plowing and discing can do more harm than good, especially if you need the moisture. If you don't have a drill then just lightly disc, say an inch deep, then seed and cover
              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 07-26-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I no longer do brassicas, the deer do not eat them enough at my place to justify the cost or the work to get them going. I still try new things, like forage awnless wheat etc. but if I am going to put in the time and effort and money, I will stay with the elbon rye, wheats and oats and clovers. Just saying. And I would not disk three times, I think it is unnecessary and it could rob moisture and may cause excess erosion. Spray and wait for ten days or so before disking
                Last edited by deer farmer; 07-27-2016, 05:39 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
                X