Seed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed question

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I could not find a thread. Has anybody used one of the fall food plot mixes from Turner seed or Hancock seed. I have planted a little mix before that our local co-op makes and didn't have much success and figured I would try one of these out.

I haven't tried the fall deer mix from Turner, but I have used the spring upland bird mix from turner with good results. Instead of planting the mix, I've just planted oats, wheat, rye, and clover. Here's the fall deer mix from Turner:

Comment

How are you going to plant? The reason I try not to do mixes is that the bigger seeds (oats, wheat, etc) need a little more planting depth than the small stuff (clovers, etc) which won't germinate if planted too deep.

So, if you're going to broadcast, disk, and roll, it works well to broadcast the oats, wheat, rye; disk lightly (and roll of you have time), then broadcast the clover, then roll again.

That should give you higher germination rates. If you don't have equipment, you could broadcast and drag and you'll get something probably, just lower germination rates.

Soil testing and appropriate Fertilizer, will also improve results and planting time is critical. (Don't plant too early.)

Comment

I'm going to plant probably around an half inch to an inch depth with a no till drill after shredding and spraying the existing weeds in the spot that this will be. I'm not sure on the ph of the soil but I do know it is suitable enough to grow crops in as my place I'm hunting borders one of my milo fields. So would you recommend just buying the seeds separate and plant them at different depths rather than just get the mix?

Comment

I tried mixes and as stated above different seed sizes need different depths. I found Buckforage Oats about 10yrs ago and have had great results so thats my choice. try it you'll like it

Comment

Thanks for the replys all, it sound like I will look into buckforage oats and maybe into just buying seeds separate and not in a mix

Comment

Originally posted by texasfarmer View Post
              Thanks for the replys all, it sound like I will look into buckforage oats and maybe into just buying seeds separate and not in a mix

If you've got a no till drill, then you're way ahead of the game. What I might do is no-till in Elbon Rye and an oat of your choice. If your drill has a separate small seed box you could use that to put in Durana or another clover in one pass. If not, it might work if you broadcast the clover before or after you till in the others. The clover needs good soil contact, you could potentially "throw and mow" the clover and then no till the others.

If I had a no till drill, my goal (on my place) would be to establish a perineal/reseeding clover plot that I could no-till oats and rye into in the fall, and maybe something in the spring. My place is in lampasas county, your place might work best with a different strategy.

Unclefish, elgato, deerfarmer and others here know way more than I do about this stuff than I do, I'm learning as I go.

Comment

I'm the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. We make specific mixes that can be planted at one depth and with our seed coat technology you will get good germination. Can save you a ton of time by planting a good mix all at once rather than making multiple passes. I would try to stay at the 1/2" range unless your going with a big seeded pea as 1" or more will be tough to get a good plot growing. If you have any specific questions shoot me a message. I'm always happy to make a good deal on seed for TBH and THF members

Comment

Working...
                X