Food plot HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot HELP!!

We have a piece of property in Red River County. About 6 years ago we had some food plots cleared ranging from a half acre to three acres. In total, if guess there is 8 acres of food plots. Until this year we've hired local help to disc and plant the plots. They've been planting oats - exclusively and we want to do something slightly more "interesting" for the deer...possibly in addition to the oats.

We've slowly accumulated gear to prepare the plots ourselves. We do not have a tractor and do not plan to plant the entire 8 acres with our little ATV equipment. We'll be selective about the footprint of the plots. We have a sprayer, a Swisher Rugged Cut mower and a disc. We'll be buying a spreader and I'm considering building a cultipacker. We like to hunt most of bowseason over these plots, if possible.

As it stands today, it's untouched since last year's planting. I'm sure weeds are tall and it's just drying out from all the rain. Full disclosure: I haven't been out since season closed.

What I'd really like to hear about is the regimen that everyone is following for planting their plots in that area. When to spray, mow, disc, plant etc. Also what are you guys planting up there? Any other tips are appreciated!

Thanks in advance, guys.

Basic fall plots in that area, I would think for that area I would be planting oats, Elbon Rye, winter wheat. You can also add winter peas but I no longer do it. I can't justify the added expense of that seed because the deer are already coming to feed on the ones I listed, so I don't do the peas any longer, and the deer at my place really never hit the winter peas all that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
      Basic fall plots in that area, I would think for that area I would be planting oats, Elbon Rye, winter wheat. You can also add winter peas but I no longer do it. I can't justify the added expense of that seed because the deer are already coming to feed on the ones I listed, so I don't do the peas any longer, and the deer at my place really never hit the winter peas all that hard.

Thanks for the ingredients! Where do you buy? And what time of year are you taking care of all the prep?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

There are quite a bit of seed suppliers, but here are a couple
          Turner Seed
          Hancock Seed

Comment

You need to start preparing for fall plots pretty quickly now if you're like most and only have weekends to work. First, mow it all as close to the ground as possible. Take a soil test to determine ph and what nutrients you need to produce the crop you're planting. Give it a couple weeks to get growing again and then burn it down with glyphosate. Give it 10/15 days to die all the way to the roots and apply your lime and disc all that under. Drag your plot smooth, and if you are planting wheat, oats, etc. as mentioned above ( and that's as good as any ), straighten your disc enough to create one to two inch deep grooves in the ground. Broadcast your seed and fertilizer and drag it smooth again. Cultipack if you want. Pray for rain. That's the simple version, but the more you do it, the more you will complicate it as time goes by. Some might do it differently, but this has worked for me for a number of years.

Be sure the seed you buy has a low weed seed count. And I mean a fraction of a percent. Lots of seed sellers will package anything and you can wind up with noxious seeds from other states if you're not careful.

Hancock is good, so is GrandPaRayoutdoors. No other recommendations as I don't know/haven't used them.
            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 07-21-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I would suggest planting wheat and oats with turnips mixed in. On over grown plots, I use to disc around them completely to dirt two disc widths and then burn them off on a still morning. Gets rid of all the vegetation and is way easier to plow and replant.

Comment

I suggest that around the mid to late Aug. spray weed killer(roundup) and let plants set for a week to 10 days ( I would wait till mid sept for seeding) and then you can spread a heavy seeding rate of 100 lbs per acre of elbon rye and then mow, letting the cuttings cover up the seed. you can do the same with winter wheat. Or you can disk in the dead weeds and plant your seed at half the seeding rate I listed above and then drag the food plot with a drag to cover the rye and or wheat seeds. If planting oats u will need to disk them in at 1/2 to 1" depths. or disk and then seed and then drag. I would not plant seeds before Sept first, watch the weather and plant before fall rains usually late sept early Oct. Hope this helps you plan ahead

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                  I suggest that around the mid to late Aug. spray weed killer(roundup) and let plants set for a week to 10 days ( I would wait till mid sept for seeding) and then you can spread a heavy seeding rate of 100 lbs per acre of elbon rye and then mow, letting the cuttings cover up the seed. you can do the same with winter wheat. Or you can disk in the dead weeds and plant your seed at half the seeding rate I listed above and then drag the food plot with a drag to cover the rye and or wheat seeds. If planting oats u will need to disk them in at 1/2 to 1" depths. or disk and then seed and then drag. I would not plant seeds before Sept first, watch the weather and plant before fall rains usually late sept early Oct. Hope this helps you plan ahead

It helps a lot! Thank you all for your help. I have a lot to learn but figure the best approach is to bust out the wallet and dive right in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. I also have a BS in Horticulture. As mentioned above the prep work is important so spend the time to get the soil prepped and tested to know exactly what you are working with. This late in the game soil amendments like lime won't do you much good because you need a good deep soaking rain several times to leach the soil and move the needle. It's something that needs to be done over time. Your best bet is to prep the soil as best you can take a soil sample to know where your at and go with a good all around mix to accomplish your goals of attracting deer this year.

We have several seed blends that do well in the areas and I'm always happy to give a good deal to TBH and THF members. If you have any questions please let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Adthomps View Post
                      I'm the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. I also have a BS in Horticulture. As mentioned above the prep work is important so spend the time to get the soil prepped and tested to know exactly what you are working with. This late in the game soil amendments like lime won't do you much good because you need a good deep soaking rain several times to leach the soil and move the needle. It's something that needs to be done over time. Your best bet is to prep the soil as best you can take a soil sample to know where your at and go with a good all around mix to accomplish your goals of attracting deer this year.

We have several seed blends that do well in the areas and I'm always happy to give a good deal to TBH and THF members. If you have any questions please let me know

Great points. I appreciate the input!

Comment

Working...
                      X