QDMA---food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QDMA---food plots

The QDMA website has a forum section that is full of valuable information about growing and managing food plots. In many ways it is one of the most complete resources I know about regarding all aspects of growing food plots from planting techniques to herbicides.

Unfortunately they are discontinuing it and all the wealth of information will be lost. I encourage anyone interested in growing crops or managing habitat for deer to do a deep dive in the forum to mine the treasures before it is extinguished.

Whoa - thanks for the heads up elgato!

Comment

very crappy deal. Shows QDMA is about the $ more than the QDM.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        The QDMA website has a forum section that is full of valuable information about growing and managing food plots. In many ways it is one of the most complete resources I know about regarding all aspects of growing food plots from planting techniques to herbicides.

Unfortunately they are discontinuing it and all the wealth of information will be lost. I encourage anyone interested in growing crops or managing habitat for deer to do a deep dive in the forum to mine the treasures before it is extinguished.
        Where did you hear this ? I belong to QDMA and have heard nothing or read nothing about this. Not disputing, but curious. I should add, I don't visit the forums much, but go to their website to access articles.

Edit: I just read the whole thing on Bowsite. While I didn't use the forums, I'm still unhappy that it's going away. Just have to get and share info on TBH game mngmt. forum and Bowsite's Deerbuilder forum.
        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Where did you hear this ? I belong to QDMA and have heard nothing or read nothing about this. Not disputing, but curious. I should add, I don't visit the forums much, but go to their website to access articles.

Edit: I just read the whole thing on Bowsite. While I didn't use the forums, I'm still unhappy that it's going away. Just have to get and share info on TBH game mngmt. forum and Bowsite's Deerbuilder forum.
          There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the General Discussion page from Lindsay Thomas Jr. dicussing the timeline for the closing of the QDMA Forum.

Comment

We should post up links to some of the better food plot threads we find on the site for our area so we can PDF them for future use.

I know lick creek had some good ones.

Comment

QDMA---food plots

Most of LickCreek's stuff is posted on a separate site:

Comment

Dang that's not good. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my GS7

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                  Most of LickCreek's stuff is posted on a separate site:

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpB...4e5512c76c8c79
                  This is great info. I wish there was a thread or a blog about ways to farm in subpar soils like in the Edwards plateau. All of these soils in the link above are true farming soils.

Comment

OK, so what do we do now?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                      This is great info. I wish there was a thread or a blog about ways to farm in subpar soils like in the Edwards plateau. All of these soils in the link above are true farming soils.

Yeah, no kidding, That would be great. I'm in the Edwards/Hill country area as well. Most of the no-till cropping strategies and techniques are focused on soils that are 3+ FEET deep, whereas we're trying to work with 3+ inches of soil and much less rain. Little different ballgame.

From what I've learned on my place so far, I get decent results with cool season plots planted in my shallow silty clay soil areas in late September or earlier October of oats, rye, wheat, clover. However, planting at that time sucks, because: A)I'd rather be hunting, and B) I don't really like running off the deer by doing a bunch of planting activity around the start of bow season.

Spring plots are tough because: A) it may not rain, and B) if it does rain, the deer annihilate the seedlings. The most reliable spring stuff for me is sunflowers, which will volunteer from my soil and overtake whatever I plant that the deer hammer.

I don't really want to go the elec fence route, but I'm looking into it.

Comment

There is a web site called Habitat-talk.com where some of the QDMA members are transitioning to and it is available for Tapatalk for those of us who followed the QDMA forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio_III View Post
                          There is a web site called Habitat-talk.com where some of the QDMA members are transitioning to and it is available for Tapatalk for those of us who followed the QDMA forums.

Also a lot of the folks have gone over to deerhunterforum.com. A new site started by some regular QDMA posters

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            Also a lot of the folks have gone over to deerhunterforum.com. A new site started by some regular QDMA posters

Thanks for the heads up elgato!

Comment

I just saved every one of them to my IBooks.

Chootum!

Comment

Working...
                              X