Mature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mature

Does this deer look mature? I'm guessing 4, but just wanted some opinions. Southeastern Oklahoma.

No. 4 is about right

Comment

Im thinking 3.5. needs another year

Comment

He will get a minimum of 1 more year, probably 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He has an 8 that is way ahead of him on the hit list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got him at 3. Neck line is too pronounced to be 4. I got the 8 at 4
            3.5-year-old bucks

3.5 year old bucks, or middle-aged bucks, can be compared to a well-conditioned race horse with a distinct junction between their neck and shoulder.

Middle-aged deer portray a muscled neck and deeper chest, yet a distinct junction between the neck and shoulder exists. Some describe their appearance as that of a well-conditioned race horse. Muscling absent in 2.5-year-olds begins to become apparent in the third year. Their chest begins to appear as large as their rump. Antler spread is often outside the ears and on quality habitat impressive antlers can develop.

4.5-year-old bucks

Bucks mature at four years of age. The obvious junction between the neck and the shoulders dissipates as the neck becomes firmly muscled, appearing almost as large as the chest. The deer is muscled throughout, but their stomach remains taut, yet rounded, and their back remains flat. The legs appear shorter and no longer out of proportion with the rest of the body. Antlers can be large as they have attained 90% of their size. The tarsal glands become noticeably larger and darker, chocolate to black.

Comment

big 8

Originally posted by DEG View Post
              I got him at 3. Neck line is too pronounced to be 4. I got the 8 at 4
              3.5-year-old bucks

3.5 year old bucks, or middle-aged bucks, can be compared to a well-conditioned race horse with a distinct junction between their neck and shoulder.

Middle-aged deer portray a muscled neck and deeper chest, yet a distinct junction between the neck and shoulder exists. Some describe their appearance as that of a well-conditioned race horse. Muscling absent in 2.5-year-olds begins to become apparent in the third year. Their chest begins to appear as large as their rump. Antler spread is often outside the ears and on quality habitat impressive antlers can develop.

4.5-year-old bucks

Bucks mature at four years of age. The obvious junction between the neck and the shoulders dissipates as the neck becomes firmly muscled, appearing almost as large as the chest. The deer is muscled throughout, but their stomach remains taut, yet rounded, and their back remains flat. The legs appear shorter and no longer out of proportion with the rest of the body. Antlers can be large as they have attained 90% of their size. The tarsal glands become noticeably larger and darker, chocolate to black.
              The bottom big 8 is a 6 yr. old that i have passed several times over the last two years. Would have taken him at 5 because he is only an 8, but he broke off his main beam last year before the rut. The top buck is could be 3 and wont be considered until he is at least 5 1/2, just depends on how he finishes out. Dont let 8's to get past 5 unless they are just something special.

Comment

I'd guess 4-5.

Comment

Comment

I'd say no ... He needs at least a year . Two or more would be ideal

Comment

I'm not seeing 3.5 more like 4.5-5.5

Comment

I agree 4 or 5. New place, right? Give it a couple years to get some experience and history on your deer and you'll have a better handle on them.

Comment

4 or 5. Don't see him at 3

Comment

Working...
                          X