What Fruit Trees To Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Fruit Trees To Plant

What Fruit trees do yall prefer or have the most luck with attracting yalls deer? I'm wanting to plant a variety of fruit trees for deer on my place with fruit available in different seasons. Also where is a good place to shop/order from?

where? sand pears and chickasaw plums do well,crabapples and blk. cherry. check what zone your in and check out : native nurseries/ a division of mossy oak. They have alot of fruit and hybrid oaks for sale. Great people to deal with,very knowledgable and they Hunt!!!

Comment

get a fruit cocktail tree

Comment

Most fruit trees will be eaten alive by the deer, you need a tree that the deer will not eat the leaves, branches,etc....how about plant vines such as honey suckle, or even persimmon

Comment

Northeast Texas. Never thought about honeysuckle. I plan on using tree tubes to help them get established so hopefully deer browsing all the leaves won't be an issue

Comment

I'm going to plant some persimmon and Dunston Chestnuts at our farm in Anderson County, probably in February or March of next year.

And tree tubes are must. Not just because of the deer, but the freaking hogs too.

Comment

persimmon tree

Comment

Not only deer will eat your fruit trees, stinking grasshoppers are attacking two new trees of mine, may have killed the apricot, durn things are eating the bark off the limbs. I'd do a mix of native fruits/mast and browse plants. Oaks, pecans, persimmons, etc. and don't ignore what a lot of folks would rather get rid of deer love prickly pear fruit and mesquite beans. Google tamu deer browse studies there are a lot of preferred native browse plants listed by region.

Comment

Planted 7 trees this March......4 are doing awesome which I water 2-3 times a week at camp. One is doing good and 2 other ones are dead

Comment

Dr. Deer had some great articles in the TTHA magazine two and three issues ago. For north east Texas I think he would recommend Dunstan chestnuts, pears, and persimmons. Also, in addition to the tubes, I would put a hog panel or goat wire cage around the trees with t-post anchors.

It's all about soil prep as well. When we plant, we use an auger to go 1' diameter by 3' deep and mix about 1c.f. of compost/potting soil mix into the hole with the native soil. Then mulch and the cage. We try to water them every week in the summer (sometimes it goes to two weeks), but we're having decent survival so far. We planted bare root trees this winter and spring from Arbor Day foundation (they are small but very cost effective).

Here's my watering rig:

Comment

Got more pics of that watering rig?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                        Got more pics of that watering rig?

No, but its just my truck with a 275 gallon tote in the bed. I used a fernco adapter from the tank nozzle to go to 1.25" pvc, put a piece of "spa hose" in for the flex joint, and rigged up a cord and pulley to raise and lower the pipe without getting out of the truck. I'm still working on some improvements, maybe put a length of hose on the discharge end, geometry improvements, etc., but we put out 200 gallons of water last weekend faster than we've ever done it before.

Comment

I like your water set up for the new planted trees. I have planted trees for the past 3 years and lost some due to the droughts. But this year I have been lucky and have received rain when it was needed. I may set up a similar system to yours but would use a flexible 2" hose. I may need the water before this hot summer is over.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                            I like your water set up for the new planted trees. I have planted trees for the past 3 years and lost some due to the droughts. But this year I have been lucky and have received rain when it was needed. I may set up a similar system to yours but would use a flexible 2" hose. I may need the water before this hot summer is over.
                            Thanks! A couple things to note - when I lower the pipe to put water on a tree, it comes out fairly quickly (I filled a 3 gallon bucket in about 4 seconds when testing it out). I am considering either throttling the valve on the tote to slow it down or putting a cap on the discharge of the pipe and perforating it like a big watering can nozzle. Also, the water tends to hit all in one spot with the discharge like it is, with a perforated nozzle i think it will spread it out more (which will make it easier to hit the tree well with most of the water).
                            Last edited by 686; 07-21-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I just rigged this little trailer up for watering my trees, still a work in progress, but hoping to get it necked down to a water hose. That way I can water fairly slow. I was just filling the 2 green barrels and using that little red siphon pump that's ziptied to the bed rail. The problem with that was losing half my water before I ever made it to my trees.

Comment

Working...
                              X