Sun Flower Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Flower Fields

planted a little over 5 acres in sunflowers. They sure are looking good!!! Should be some good bird hunting. Post yours up!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	sunflower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	25091087

Click image for larger version

Name:	sun2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	25091088

Looking good. Do you plan to shred them before season?

Comment

Looks great old neighbor!

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
        Looking good. Do you plan to shred them before season?
        Yes sir we will shred them in strips before the season starts and throughout dove season. Will disc them under after season ends.

Comment

Originally posted by ArrowHead View Post
          Looks great old neighbor!

You get off your lease?

Comment

I can't tell from pic, are they native or black peredovik?

Come on 9/1!

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
              I can't tell from pic, are they native or black peredovik?

Come on 9/1!
              We planted native and put 1000lbs of fertilizer on them.

Comment

I tried to plant some last year but hogs demolished them once they started seeding out.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  I tried to plant some last year but hogs demolished them once they started seeding out.
                  I am hoping the **** grasshoppers dont wipe them out.

Comment

I got rained out this spring so didn't get any planted..... Yours look great.

Comment

looks like alot of future fun

Comment

looks awesome... with all the rain early and the fact that it's dried up I think it's going to be a stellar year!

as an aside, I've never understood the laws on baiting vs. the planting and manipulation of food plots for dove. the plain language of the federal statutes seems to clearly regard planting for the sole purpose of attracting dove as baiting. I don't understand what hair is split to get from that to Texas A&M AgriLife Extension publishing recommendations and guidance for planting food plots to attract dove.
                        For the record I'm not saying there is any question about the legality of doing it, I just don't understand it based on the plain english of the law.
                        This link wasn't helpful... all the literature I can find makes the leap from stating the federal law to the statement,
                        "beginning in March each year, various seedbearing crops can be planted for the sole purpose of attracting doves,"
                        with the ever present caveat that it is the hunter's responsibility to know the law. That last part is what I don't have. Where did March come from?!?
                        Any takers?
                        Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-14-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I planted a dove mix this year. It had like 19.8% sunflower. When I broadcast it, the dove, along with some other birds, hit the field pretty hard. I don't have 1 single sunflower plant in my field. I did seed it heavy, so I think I probably shaded out the sunflower with the fast growing millet.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            You get off your lease?
                            No sir.Im still there. Looks like you will have some birds to hunt with that field.Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by ArrowHead View Post
                              No sir.Im still there. Looks like you will have some birds to hunt with that field.Nice job!

Gotcha. Im hoping the bird hunting will be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X