Quail as an indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quail as an indicator

How many of y'all believe the old adage that when you have a good quail year the horns are good as well? My dad and uncle who have hunted all over south Texas have always told me that.

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
    How many of y'all believe the old adage that when you have a good quail year the horns are good as well? My dad and uncle who have hunted all over south Texas have always told me that.
    If that's the case, there won't be any antlers in east Texas. There are not any quail left.

Comment

Never heard that but I hope you're right. The place we just bought out north of Abilene is covered with them.

Comment

Seems legit to me all correlate with the weather

Comment

if that were true, last year would have been the best in the last 20 for west Texas.
          maybe this year will be our best ever

Comment

Quail are the potato chip of west Texas. That's what I was told from an earlier thread.

Comment

Makes sense: rain grows vegetation, which both quail and deer need.

Comment

Good quail years require rains at the right times, just like antlers.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
                  Seems legit to me all correlate with the weather
                  Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                  Makes sense: rain grows vegetation, which both quail and deer need.
                  Ya, I'll bite and agree that it does make sense

Comment

Well downe here this is the best year we have seen in years quail everywhere it's exciting to see all the birds . And turkey as well

Comment

Lots of quail on our place and the deer are in excellent shape!

Comment

Quail are like wildflowers. If it rains on them at the right time, they are everywhere. Lots of quail and wildflowers the last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
                          If that's the case, there won't be any antlers in east Texas. There are not any quail left.
                          Was referring to an area that has quail and a correlation between survival numbers and conditions to grow big horns.

Comment

As a general rule, I'll agree with that.
                            Further, good quail year should mean lots of mature bucks in five or six years from the good fawn crop.

Comment

I can see the logic. Hope it's right. Seen many quail the last two years all over McCulloch County. Killed my first decent hill country buck in eight years also last year in Kimble County. Seen decent quail where I shot him also.

Comment

Working...
                              X