Mineral in a trough vs. on ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mineral in a trough vs. on ground

I've always put trace mineral salt and di-calcium phosphate on the ground, but now with hunting out west on rocks, I feel it is getting washed away when the rain hits (as rare as that is). The mineral doesn't seem to soak in, and if it does, the deer cant dig the hole like they do in sandy land back home. I put out the trough in the pic and put 30 pounds of Di-calcium mixed with 200 pounds of trace mineral salt and 2 trophy rocks inside. Put it out 70 days ago and will go back this coming Thursday to check and refill. Not sure how the deer will take to it in a trough. I put a few drain holes in bottom, but I figure with a few inches of rain, it may be just one big mineral salt block, which is fine too if the deer like it. I guess I will know if it's a hit or flop in a few days, but just wondering if anyone else has provided mineral in a trough vs. on the ground and what your results were.

I've never used it in block form, but I never could get deer to use the mineral powder unless it was actually on the ground....

Comment

I use the blocks on the ground. My deer lick them and eat the dirt where it was sitting once it's gone. Never tried the trough but my bet is it will work just the same.

Comment

Haven't had any luck with blocks or rocks. The original liquid deer cane has worked wonders every place I have hunted. In fact, we have a new least his year and put some out last weekend and I already had deer hitting it on camera.

Comment

I use a combo of cheap livestock salt block on the ground with Deer Cane poured around it. It has worked well for me.

Comment

I just use the trace mineral block that tractor supply sells for about $10.00. The deer hit it when they need. Works good for me.

Comment

They've been hitting the dicalcium phosphate and mineralized salt mix HARD. 2 trophy rocks in there as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you'll look at the ingredients on Deer Cane, all it is is salt and a tiny bit of filler. Just as well to buy regular old Morton salt and pour it onto the ground. Some guys I know will mix water and salt to the point of a "thick water" viscosity and pour it on the ground too...

Comment

I have had no luck with any of this. Sucks. But it just means they are getting the minerals they need.

Had a little luck with the trophy rock..

Comment

Working...
                  X