Mineral site seperation/distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mineral site seperation/distance

The lease Im on. The way its done is we are all given a section that we hunt the way we want. Well the sections end up being about 100 acres or so.

My question is how far apart and how many mineral sites would be the appropriate amount and distance for each site for a 100 acre parcel?

I've read that you should have a site for every 80 acres, so I bet you'd be good with one site on each 100 acre parcel. It's also recommend to put them near water.

Comment

I was actually gonna put 3 on my parcel...not sure if the other guys put out minerals.

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with your plan. They are a good spot to put game cams as well. Don't get discouraged if you don't see them getting used, it just means your deer are getting the minerals they need

Comment

Thanx, I know its more than needed for a 100 acres, but Im pretty sure no one else doing it, so Im putting them kinda close to my boundaries to cover multiple doe groups...theoretically.
          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 06-29-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I have 2 feed pens at my stand which are about 150 yards apart. One pen has a protein feeder and the other a timed release that feeds protein mixed with corn into a trough daily. Both pens have a mineral tub inside that contains loose Mineral salt mixed with dicalcium phospahte and trophy rocks, and both get hit hard.

Comment

Thanx

Comment

Where are you getting your dicalcium phosphate? I went to the tractor supply and feed store in Bonham and when I asked if they had it they looked at me like I was crazy.

Comment

I get our locally owned feed store to get it for me. They own a mill down the road and have it in stock there.

Comment

I have salt and minerals in 5 areas on 110 acres

Comment

We have four mineral sites set on a 600 acre place all evenly spread out throughout the property. We don't really hunt the front 150 acres or so so really its four sites on 450 acres so pretty close to 1 per 100 acres.

Comment

Checked mine yesterday. Rangefinder says they are 121 yards apart and both have been getting about the same amount of attention.

Comment

Working...
                        X