Deer treats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer treats?

Being from Indiana & new to baiting deer, I had a few Questions. Other than corn what else do y'all put out to attract? I'm on 20 acres surrounded by hundreds of low fence acres. What draws deer in down here? Have much luck with mock scrapes or licking branches? What about fertilizing the oaks? There are no hogs in the area thank goodness. Are there any food plots that can still be planted? I just acquired the property this week.
    Last edited by Hoosier; 06-25-2016, 10:00 AM.

See what people are planting in front of their houses put in a small plot of cheap flowers.
    Everything my friends in San Antonio plant the deer eat within a week.
    Really. Flower seed is cheap.

Comment

Fall is the best time to plant food plots. Oats, wheat, rye are good choices . especially good mixed. I usually plant around the first of Sept if i get rain. CORN right now is great. A feeder that throws twice day will save you money as opposed to feeding on the ground but deer love to eat corn just poured out as well.

A mineral block is good to supliment corn as well as cotton seed or rice hulls.

Comment

The sound of a feeder going off will draw deer in also the strong smell of alfalfa

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier View Post
          Being from Indiana & new to baiting deer, I had a few Questions. Other than corn what else do y'all put out to attract? I'm on 20 acres surrounded by hundreds of low fence acres. What draws deer in down here? Have much luck with mock scrapes or licking branches? What about fertilizing the oaks? There are no hogs in the area thank goodness. Are there any food plots that can still be planted? I just acquired the property this week.
          Put out a bag of corn on the ground and cover it with Rice Bran. Then make you a couple small piles of Rice Bran with what is left over.

Enjoy the multitudes of deer that show up.

Comment

vanilla

Comment

peanut butter

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Fall is the best time to plant food plots. Oats, wheat, rye are good choices . especially good mixed. I usually plant around the first of Sept if i get rain. CORN right now is great. A feeder that throws twice day will save you money as opposed to feeding on the ground but deer love to eat corn just poured out as well.

A mineral block is good to supliment corn as well as cotton seed or rice hulls.
                This man is spot on. Wouldn't mess with anything else.

Comment

Iron clay peas are great to plant in the spring. Easy to grow, and will tolerate not-so-good growing conditions. Plant plenty of them, because deer love them !

Wheat, oats, and Elbon rye are hard to beat for fall plots.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have tried a lot of stuff. I hunt private land in ETX and pubic land in Central TX. I can't afford to plant food plots. Much of the stuff I have tried is very expensive (20# bag for $19.00). I believe corn is the best. Flavored rice bran works great in ETX and you can find it at feed stores if you do some searching. I buy mine in Greenwood, LA. I can't find flavored rice bran anywhere close to Killeen. I have used Hog Wild and Deer Co-Cain in the past with good results. I throw corn on the ground and try to mix a little sweet smell to it when I can.

Comment

Whoa! those seed prices sound a little high to me. I can get 50 lbs of wheat or rye grain or oats for about 19 bucks and 50 lbs will plant about an acre. And I have shopped at Greenwood and looked at their flavored stuff, I just never bought any. Corn can be cheap when used for an attractor.

Comment

Like said above corn is king here. other than that protien, rice bran, alfalfa...
                        Really depends on where you are in texas and what the natural forage looks like. If its super green then don't waste your time with alfalfa. I like vanilla while I'm hunting as an attractant and a cover scent.

Texas is so diverse in terrain and forage that different things work better in different areas.

Comment

Range cubes and Alfalfa cubes work real good if no cattle are around.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                            Whoa! those seed prices sound a little high to me. I can get 50 lbs of wheat or rye grain or oats for about 19 bucks and 50 lbs will plant about an acre. And I have shopped at Greenwood and looked at their flavored stuff, I just never bought any. Corn can be cheap when used for an attractor.
                            That price I quoted was for stuff like BB2 and others. A lot of people say it works great but they are proud of it.

Comment

Corn & food plots are best and the most reasonable. I have recently been using sweet feed/horse & mule to hold pigs in longer and the deer have gone nuts over it. they were very skiddish over at first took about a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X