Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Hill Country Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill Country Food Plot

I'm hoping to sign the lease on a new property in the hill country. I was wondering how effective food plots are and how difficult as well with all of the rocks. I would love to have a few to hunt over as opposed to feeders. I also wonder if they are cheaper to maintain.

1 of your problems if you have alot of deer will be getting them to grow before the deer clean them out just sprouting. You will have to fence them off till the get growing good.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      1 of your problems if you have alot of deer will be getting them to grow before the deer clean them out just sprouting. You will have to fence them off till the get growing good.
      X2 on what DUKFVR said.
      Are you wanting cool and warm season plots? Or just cool season?

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
        X2 on what DUKFVR said.
        Are you wanting cool and warm season plots? Or just cool season?
        Both

Comment

You'll likely struggle with warm season for two reasons. First, unless you can overwhelm them in acreage, the deer will wipe you out. Typical warm season plots consist of legumes and once they bite off the leaves when the plant is 3" tall, it kills the plant. Second, rainfall is untimely for the most part. You might have a little success some years, but others rain will dictate what you do. I've been down this road and gave up on warm season plots after having dealt with the above. Oh and rebuilding electric fence a dozen times wore me out

See the wire and pretty orange tape?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001369.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	24447756
          Last edited by tbgascorer; 06-06-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I done one this year and agree with above, I have had great luck with Cotton Seed and Protein

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
              I'm hoping to sign the lease on a new property in the hill country. I was wondering how effective food plots are and how difficult as well with all of the rocks. I would love to have a few to hunt over as opposed to feeders. I also wonder if they are cheaper to maintain.
              If it's extremely rocky, it will be difficult. Your best bet may be one of the medic clovers, since they require less ground prep and are less dependent on precise depth placement.

Comment

Working...
              X