Old Man Age Guess (have results in)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess the age on Old Man. Many of y'all are familiar with me chasing him the last 3 years. I shot a buck 3 days before my buddy killed old man with his bow this year. I'll post Live Photos. This is an East Texas deer. Guess his final age...

OLD. Shame he went down hill so much over the last few years. I remember when you first started chasing him. Still a heck of a trophy to finally be able to lay him down after all the history you have with him.

Comment

Comment

10.5?

Comment

I think he was at least 7 in the 13 pics. How was he aged? I would guess him 10 plus but we will likely never know. Teeth can tell you he is old but not likely how old.
          Last edited by GarGuy; 04-05-2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I remember your chase. Would of been a heck of a buck to harvest. Cool seeing his agin pics like that, really cool. OLD is my guess....like over 10years kind of old.

Comment

Comment

If you posted just the dec 4 2015 pics and no history, you would get lots of folks saying 4.5

Comment

I say 10.5

Comment

9+ easy

Comment

He was 10.5 this year when Marshall killed him. Very cool knowing that. He was 8.5 in 2013. Makes you wonder what he was at 6.5?! In 2011 lol

Pretty cool in that we sent in 10 deer to be cut. 2 bucks that showed to be 3.5 tooth wear were 4.5 and two bucks that showed 4.5 yr ol teeth wear were in fact 5.5. Oldest deer we sent in was a doe that was 13.5

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                        He was 10.5 this year when Marshall killed him. Very cool knowing that. He was 8.5 in 2013. Makes you wonder what he was at 6.5?! In 2011 lol

Pretty cool in that we sent in 10 deer to be cut. 2 bucks that showed to be 3.5 tooth wear were 4.5 and two bucks that showed 4.5 yr ol teeth wear were in fact 5.5. Oldest deer we sent in was a doe that was 13.5
                        That data exactly matches what i have been talking about in the other East tx threads this week. I thought I could age deer pretty dang good by body and teeth untill we started killing deer that I have years of history with. Teeth nor body ages as fast as other parts of the state. just think how it would suck to kill a 6.5 year old deer and get kicked off your lease because the biologist tooth aged him at 4.5.

Thank you so much for posting the results of SAWED teeth.

Comment

9.5 was my guess

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

Very cool Tshelly, thanks for sharing. I don't see a year swing in estimates as that bad. You were in the ballpark and on the lowside so that's always a plus. Unless like GG said, age impacted someone getting kicked off. Of course, it could be flipped and beneficial aid to kick a knucklehead off. Fun to watch Old Man age.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                              Very cool Tshelly, thanks for sharing. I don't see a year swing in estimates as that bad. You were in the ballpark and on the lowside so that's always a plus. Unless like GG said, age impacted someone getting kicked off. Of course, it could be flipped and beneficial aid to kick a knucklehead off. Fun to watch Old Man age.
                              Yep. Neat that you guessed him 10.5 too. Of course, you have seen a few east tx studs. I saw a deer taken to a taxidermist this year that was known to be 5.5 and likely 6.5. He was instantly aged by two experts at 3.5. that was followed up by, " Man he had potential to have been a giant someday".

One thing I have learned in the past 5 years is.... I SUCK at aging East tx deer and so do most other folks whether they know it or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X