Deer Watering DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Watering DIY

I had a buddy give me two 300 gallon chemical totes. So I set up a watering on one of the properties I hunt that doesn't have any water on it. I set one up as a water storage tank and use the other as a shuttle to refill the storage tank. I just figured a summer watering since keeping it from freezing up in the winter could be a chore. Just tried to keep it simple and cheap but functional.2" reduce down to 3/4" line then just a 5 gallon bucked for a trough and a cheaper float valve. I also wrapped the tank in tarps to try and keep out sunlight and keep algae from growing and added a few cap fulls of bleach. All together I have about $90 in it. Thinking of something to do to keep hogs from jacking with the pvc/valve. Thinking maybe a couple small garden style t-post on either side of the pvc wrapped in 4 point gaucho barbwire but for now I have a pile of the nastiest mesquite limbs I could find stacked around the valve/pvc.
    Attached Files

Wow!! That will be a drawing card for sure. Like you said, keeping the Hogs will be the thing.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Very nice, I have a similar set up on mine as well as it now waters three honeysuckle plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          Very nice, I have a similar set up on mine as well as it now waters three honeysuckle plants.
          Nice!!

Comment

Looks nice....only suggestion I have is to put something in there to allow mice and other small animals a way to crawl out when they fall in. If they get trapped in there and drown it turns nasty.

Comment

^^^agreed, ive got a few good rocks in my bucket. also helps with animals pawing at it, seems to reduce wasted water as well. Nothing like a watering hole, good work!!!

Comment

Yeah I wedge a stick in there and wired it to the side before I left.

Comment

I bought some copper sulfate on eBay and it got rid of my algae problems. I put about a teaspoon in each tote. $5 worth of this stuff will last you a lifetime.

Comment

Looks good. That should help keep them hydrated.
                    Lots of good ideas in this DIY thread as well: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=36871

Comment

Looks good I need to do some similar. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by techzan View Post
                        I bought some copper sulfate on eBay and it got rid of my algae problems. I put about a teaspoon in each tote. $5 worth of this stuff will last you a lifetime.
                        Thought about that also. I was unsure if that or bleach or chlorine tablets anything like that would leave an odor that may cause the deer to not drink it.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                          Thought about that also. I was unsure if that or bleach or chlorine tablets anything like that would leave an odor that may cause the deer to not drink it.
                          I've heard of just putting copper wire in the big tank. I don't know if it changes the taste. Would like to know.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

looks good

Comment

Working...
                              X