Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

It's a SUPPLEMENT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokenj View Post
    what's your deer per acre ratio?
    1:6-7

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      I'm pulling that number from studies done at Tecomate and Caesar Kleberg. They both say that feeding protein pellets is great and will definitely improve antlers at around the 7yr mark, but that quality native habitat coupled with protein feeding is the best way to improve your deer herd. It also states that deer are naturally browsers and that they will not eat more than a certain % at a protein feeder. Over time, I'm sure they get more and more accustomed to eating protein, so maybe that % goes up over time. Who knows...
      I wonder why tecomate would say that...
      They don't have a conflict of interest...

Heheh

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        1:6-7
        Your carrying a big population, hard to compare yals consumption to other ranches. Not saying it's bad but you have a lot of deer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
          Your carrying a big population, hard to compare yals consumption to other ranches. Not saying it's bad but you have a lot of deer.
          We haven't always carried higher density. We haven't always fed. We haven't always fed this much/deer.

We didn't see appreciable results until we got to this program.

Comment

We haven't always carried higher density. We haven't always fed. We haven't always fed this much/deer.

Encinal-

By no means am I saying that I am right. There are a lot of different ways to manage and improve a deer herd. If you feed them, they will definitely grow.

Comment

I'm confused, I guess I was under the impression your deer eat 3lbs of protein day. which makes up more than 25% of their diet. And you questioned the studies done by others that show their deer eat less than 25% protein and more than 75% natural browse. Is that right?

Comment

I'm confused, I guess I was under the impression your deer eat 3lbs of protein day. which makes up more than 25% of their diet. And you questioned the studies done by others that show their deer eat less than 25% protein and more than 75% natural browse. Is that right?
                If you don't feed them at all they eat 0% protein and 100% native browse.

I was under the assumption the study you mentioned said the MAX they would eat of their diet was 25% protein.

Comment

If you don't feed them at all they eat 0% protein and 100% native browse.

I was under the assumption the study you mentioned said the MAX they would eat of their diet was 25% protein.
                  If you feed them 0 native they eat 100% protein, benifit of high fence create a density ratio that works for your wants and needs.

I didn't mention the studies bgleaton did. I'm assuming those studies were done on areas with healty deer densities. If you have have a deer to 7 acres of course their going to eat more than 25% protien. Range can't handle it, hints the reason it's supplemental feed.

Comment

If you feed them 0 native they eat 100% protein, benifit of high fence create a density ratio that works for your wants and needs.

I didn't mention the studies bgleaton did. I'm assuming those studies were done on areas with healty deer densities. If you have have a deer to 7 acres of course their going to eat more than 25% protien. Range can't handle it, hints the reason it's supplemental feed.
                    The range can handle it, they just wouldn't have great antlers most years.

Comment

The range can handle it, they just wouldn't have great antlers most years.
                      Plus Lower fawn crops, lower body weights, lower buck survivability, higher tooth wear, weaker antlers and an ugly browse line.

Comment

Plus Lower fawn crops, lower body weights, lower buck survivability, higher tooth wear, weaker antlers and an ugly browse line.
                        Probably wouldn't have a horrible browse line... would see some signs of it some years..

All S Texas country isn't created equal and our country is closer to 1/10 than 1/20 type country to start with.

Lower fawn crops certainly, lower fawn survivability, lower body weights... no more tooth wear than normal non fed probably
                        Last edited by Encinal; 03-04-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Probably wouldn't have a horrible browse line... would see some signs of it some years..

All S Texas country isn't created equal and our country is closer to 1/10 than 1/20 type country to start with.

Lower fawn crops certainly, lower fawn survivability, lower body weights... no more tooth wear than normal non fed probably
                          I have worked in that area before. No doubt great country over there. But I think we both agree free choice is best, and a timed/limited feed program is better than nothing. But Imo you can't beat Mother Nature when we get the timely rains.

Comment

I would place my bets with those who have proven results year after year...how can you challenge the facts of those who have had proven success with their plan??

Comment

I have worked in that area before. No doubt great country over there. But I think we both agree free choice is best, and a timed/limited feed program is better than nothing. But Imo you can't beat Mother Nature when we get the timely rains.
                              You are better off lowering your deer numbers enough to be able to afford feeding them most/all of what they want to eat than feeding too many deer too little...

thats all I'm saying.

Mother nature and timely rains sure do help, but without that steady baseline of feed, the pops that forbes give you can't push you to the highest highs.

Comment

Good job

Comment

Working...
                                X