Sunn Hemp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
    That's an awesome foodplot! How much of each seed did you plant per acre? Did your deer eat the Sunn Hemp?
    Thanks for the reply!
    That's a good question. I mixed about 100 pounds of SH,100 pounds of sunflowers total in two different food plots that were about 4 acres each. In addition I added 50-60 pounds an acre of peas. So that would be about 25 pounds an acre of SH/Sunflowers,50-60 pounds of peas per acre.
    The deer ate the SH like crazy after the peas burnt up.
    I would also recommend planting the SH in May when the soil temperature is higher,it was slow to get started compared to the peas. Hope this helps.

Comment

[quote=bgleaton;11133360]
      Originally posted by drslonghorn View Post

What kind of equipment do you use when planting? Just curious to see your set up. We want to start to do some fall food plots, but I'm not sure what kind of equipment we should use. We have the tractor, just have to figure out how we are going to plant.
      We have a JD 4020, and a 4WD Kabota, several discs, broadcast spreader for the seed. May try to take pics this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by drslonghorn View Post
        That's a good question. I mixed about 100 pounds of SH,100 pounds of sunflowers total in two different food plots that were about 4 acres each. In addition I added 50-60 pounds an acre of peas. So that would be about 25 pounds an acre of SH/Sunflowers,50-60 pounds of peas per acre.
        The deer ate the SH like crazy after the peas burnt up.
        I would also recommend planting the SH in May when the soil temperature is higher,it was slow to get started compared to the peas. Hope this helps.
        Thanks for the information. I plan to follow your program this year.

Comment

So you just disc, broadcast and disc again to cover seeds? Do you spray and kill vegetation beforehand? Whatever you are doing its working really well.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            So you just disc, broadcast and disc again to cover seeds? Do you spray and kill vegetation beforehand? Whatever you are doing its working really well.

No Kidding!!! I have always failed miserably at spring food plots!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
              We do not spray beforehand,but I'm thinking about doing it this year. We have a problem with grass burrs and I'm trying to knock them out. My dad covers(lightly discs) the seed after broadcasting.
              We have learned to plant in front of rain. Our planting efforts in the past were not so good if we didn't receive rain fairly soon after planting. Deer,hogs,birds etc. will eat most of the seed before it comes up. With weather forecasting getting more accurate,so has our success in planting.
              I have learned quite a bit from the threads of Elgato and unclefish, those guys know their stuff.

Comment

Drslonghorn, that is a nice food plot for sure. I found the seeding rate u suggested here was the best seeding rate for E Texas also. No sunflowers added here but the hemp and peas worked great together. My food plot with the peas and hemp were smaller at 1 acre but will expand this year because they deer really took to the mix. Sorry no pics here but I wanted to tell of E Texas. thanks for posting your pictures, it tells the story of your great success.
                PS, the deer love new Sunn hemp plants, 6" plants may need to be protected when doing small 1 acre plots
                Last edited by deer farmer; 03-05-2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                  Drslonghorn, that is a nice food plot for sure. I found the seeding rate u suggested here was the best seeding rate for E Texas also. No sunflowers added here but the hemp and peas worked great together. My food plot with the peas and hemp were smaller at 1 acre but will expand this year because they deer really took to the mix. Sorry no pics here but I wanted to tell of E Texas. thanks for posting your pictures, it tells the story of your great success.
                  PS, the deer love new Sunn hemp plants, 6" plants may need to be protected when doing small 1 acre plots
                  This was the first time we have planted the SH. Was not sure what to expect, but we weren't disappointed in its performance. The deer were slow to hit it,but that changed by late summer. We may increase our ratio of SH this year. Thanks for the kind words, we will post pics later on of this years plots, assuming we get rain.

Comment

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Last edited by FCTrapper; 03-07-2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

If you haven't bought yet I'm the new Independent Territory Rep for Tecomate in Texas. We have sun hemp I can get you in 25lb bags. Recommended planting rate is 16lbs per acre. Can ship it anywhere you need it to go. Price per bag is $80 or about $47 per acre

Comment

Working...
                      X