Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good rain

Originally posted by Sergio_III View Post
    There is some rain in the radar so your spring plots should take off very soon.
    Looks like we got over an 1", I just hope the deer don't come in and destroy it, we have a ton of clover and a lot of natural browse. But young beans tend to be a deer favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
      I got some of my Eagle brand soybeans in just before this rain. 8 hrs on the tractor, beats me down, but I love the results I am just now starting with my spring plots this year. I am not sure if I need to mow some of my white clover, it's getting pretty tall in some spots and I am mixed on what to do next. this is my first full year of clover now about 17 months old. I have more EB soybeans to plant and another spot with peas and Sunn Hemp mix.
      I usually mow my white clover after it flowers to let those seeds drop (even though white clover is a perennial it works alot like a reseeding annual in the south). New seeds dropping helps prolong the life of that plot. Plus the deer love the tender growth of the clover after a mowing.

How many acres you planting this year?

Comment

I hope we get to plant our Eagle soybeans and their summer mix before the wet stuff resides.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          I usually mow my white clover after it flowers to let those seeds drop (even though white clover is a perennial it works alot like a reseeding annual in the south). New seeds dropping helps prolong the life of that plot. Plus the deer love the tender growth of the clover after a mowing.

How many acres you planting this year?
          I have around 4+ acres in duranna and imperial clovers that are really thick and tall, some are flowering and have been for the last couple of weeks, about 2 acres in crimson and I will replant the crimson area in sunn hemp in May. I planted 4+ acres in EB soybeans last week and have another 1.5 to seed between now and mid may, all soybeans will be e fenced till it gets around 2 foot and then open up the beans in July and about 2 acres in sunn hemp and iron clay peas around first of May. Its seams smaller this spring but that is due the clover this year.
          Last edited by deer farmer; 04-12-2016, 08:21 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

I have around 4+ acres in duranna and imperial clovers that are really thick and tall, some are flowering and have been for the last couple of weeks, about 2 acres in crimson and I will replant the crimson area in sunn hemp in May. I planted 4+ acres in EB soybeans last week and have another 1.5 to seed between now and mid may, all soybeans will be e fenced till it gets around 2 foot and then open up the beans in July and about 2 acres in sunn hemp and iron clay peas around first of May. Its seams smaller this spring but that is due the clover this year.
            Wow. Great plan!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio_III View Post
              I hope we get to plant our Eagle soybeans and their summer mix before the wet stuff resides.
              What is the summer mix? I really like Big Fellow, it is the more drought resistant of the EB seeds. And the leaves are hugh, makes a lot of green forage

Comment

UF, just for conversation, I mowed the E. Rye back this year along with some forage oats, I wanted to hold it back from seeding and was hoping to extend the new growth for feeding. The deer really hit it hard rite after I mowed, I had always let it go to seed head before. And I did some awnless wheat this year. I am watching it now to see it the seed heads are taken by the deer. The awnless wheat was a forage wheat from OKla State Agg. Happy so far with it but the shipping cost really ran the cost up on the seed. Just passing along some info here

Comment

What is the summer mix? I really like Big Fellow, it is the more drought resistant of the EB seeds. And the leaves are hugh, makes a lot of green forage
                  This is what the ESCO summer mix contains...
                  Big Buck Forage soybeans
                  Cowpeas
                  Peredovik Black Oil Sunflowers
                  Buckwheat

I don't have the exact seed % but I'll check them today if I beat the rain to our ranch.

The Eagle seeds I'll also be planting is the GameKeeper RR, which contains Big
                  Fellow, Large Lad, and the World's First and only Roundup Ready Climbing soybean, Whitetail Thicket RR.

Comment

summer mix sounds good, I forgot to mention I have 1.5 acre buckwheat going in, its a first time for me. For the bees and we will see how the deer react

Comment

I have 1500 lbs iron and clay peas, 500 lbs soybeans, and 400 lbs of sunn hemp to plant today. Oh joy! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                        I have 1500 lbs iron and clay peas, 500 lbs soybeans, and 400 lbs of sunn hemp to plant today. Oh joy! Haha

Thats a whole lot of planting. Good luck to you.

Comment

Dang. How many acres are you planting? That sounds like a farming operation to me. That should pull in every deer for 3 counties.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                            Dang. How many acres are you planting? That sounds like a farming operation to me. That should pull in every deer for 3 counties.

It does. Our neighbors really like us lol

Comment

It does. Our neighbors really like us lol
                              I like the way you think.

Comment

Got a good rain this week and forecasted for more this weekend. Once the sun pops back out things should shoot up really good. [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                                X