No announcement yet.

Feeding dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking only for the elk on my place but they lay down under the feeder and eat, I can't see that stopping any of them until may-june when he bulls are tall enough to get hung up, but cows will still get to it.

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
    So, think of it as an umbrella or skirt / a steel cage-type umbrella. A WT could walk underneath the bottom bar (maybe have to duck down a little?) but be able to hold its head up enough to eat from your free feeders. I think it would be very uncomfortable for anything much taller to attempt to eat from the tubes.

(Imagine the rings perfectly centered)

I used a large round feeder in the drawing, but same could easily be done for a large square feeder.

If you think it has merit, I could build this for you if you'd like.

It's a prototype....I'd only build one,first, and monitor it with cameras for a while and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
      Speaking only for the elk on my place but they lay down under the feeder and eat, I can't see that stopping any of them until may-june when he bulls are tall enough to get hung up, but cows will still get to it.

Wow!...well, I have no elk feeding experience

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
        Wow!...well, I have no elk feeding experience
        They are kind of a nightmare. I figured out they don't like to eat off of the ground so I'm feeding a corn/soy bean/milo/protein mix that is 20%. I use a broadcast feeder deer, pigs, and turkey are in there heavy. The elk have thinned out thankfully.

Comment

Elk when they jump they drag their back legs and pull the wire down around my feeder.i raised the panels up off the ground about 8" so far so good,can't keep pigs out at least I'm not feeding the cows also.This is with the 34" panels.

Comment

Bumping this

Has anyone found a solution?

Comment

We are in Stonewall county also. Put a 12 volt buzzer on your feeder and watch your cell camera and when the elk come to the feeder hit the buzzer and scare them to my place. Problem solved!

Comment

Nice Elk! Feed bill or not, I think its cool to have a LF lease w/ Elk on it.

15 Elk probably eat the same as 50 WT, so I can see it getting out of hand pretty quick. Maybe go to timed protein feeders... At least you can somewhat limit the elk herd from just emptying the feeder in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
                  We are in Stonewall county also. Put a 12 volt buzzer on your feeder and watch your cell camera and when the elk come to the feeder hit the buzzer and scare them to my place. Problem solved!
                  I like this plan!

Comment

Working...
                  X