• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MLD Program news

Billy Lambert <Billy.Lambert@tpwd.texas.gov>
    Today at 12:49 PM

Message body

Hello folks, some important information here regarding future involvement in the MLD program. Please read thoroughly. There are many changes occurring in advance of the new MLD program that begins in 2017.

To start, many folks have been getting Harvest Data e-mails from the TWIMS system, which is new. In the past, I’d send reminders out to those that had not returned data. But, since all data is now to be self-reported, TWIMS is the one sending out reminders, and apparently they are going out to everybody, whether they have already submitted data or not. Not sure if that will change in the future. If you have already submitted data, and you still get the e-mail, just disregard the e-mail.

Similar to the above, some have also seen the request for entering habitat management practices into TWIMS. This is also new, and is important. For anyone interested in the Conservation Option of the new MLD program to be implemented in 2017, 2 habitat management practices must been implemented annually for the previous 2 years in order to enter the Conservations Option, and 3 practices must be implemented annually thereafter to remain in the Conservation Option. These habitat management practices must be approved and documented in TWIMS. That means that management practices must begin now, and be document in TWIMS, in order to be eligible for the Conservation Option in the 2017-2018 hunting season. It is very easy to document the practices in TWIMS (see the original e-mail that you received or look at the one below). Remember though that the management activities you implement should be geared towards overall habitat improvement, such as prescribed burning or re-seeding native vegetation, etc. There are some management activities that can be selected in TWIMS that aren’t approved for the MLD program, such as supplemental feeding, supplemental water, brush piles, etc. (not even sure why they are on there).

Another change that should occur for this season, assuming it passes, is expanded doe days and a muzzleloader season. Counties in District 5 with no current doe days (Burleson, Milam, Falls, Limestone) will move to 4 doe days over Thanksgiving and counties with 4 does days currently (Brazos, Madison, Robertson, Leon, Grimes) will move to 16 doe days. Also, even though all of you have received an e-mail on this already, here are some simple bullet points explaining the new MLD changes/options for the 2017-208 season:

Harvest Option

Completely automated

Does not require a management plan

No biologist site visit

No survey data required

No harvest data required (other the number of deer killed)

Can get buck or doe permits, or both

Full extended hunting season for does/spikes

Partial (late) extended hunting season for bucks

Conservation Option

Management plan required

Survey data required

Harvest data required

2 annual management practices for 2 years to get in

3 annual management practices to stay in

Full extended season for bucks and does

Billy Lambert

979-279-9693

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 8:18 AM
    To:
    Subject: FW: MLD harvest data reminder emails

Subject: FW: Summary Harvest Data and Habitat Management Practices Reporting Reminder for ……..

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 2:05 AM
    To:
    Subject: Summary Harvest Data and Habitat Management Practices Reporting Reminder for ……………

The time is approaching to enter your summary harvest data. Mule deer and white-tailed deer summary harvest data must be entered no later than April 1.

Summary Harvest Data entry is required for: ……….

In addition, please submit your annual updates regarding habitat management practices conducted or in progress during this past year for participants in Level 2 or Level 3 MLD. Please complete updates no later than April 1.

Data may be entered online through the TPWD Private Lands Application. You may use the Forgot Password function on the main TWIMS page if you have trouble logging in.

Instructions for entering harvest data and habitat management data can be found by visiting the Help menu, located in the top right corner of the page after you login. You may also contact your local biologist with questions regarding data entry.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Customer support for the TWIMS system is available by contacting twims@tpwd.texas.gov.

Can the leasee do the Harvest Option, or does the landowner have to initiate this ? Thanks.

Comment

Can we get a cliff note version?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        Can we get a cliff note version?
        The cliff's notes are that I'm gonna get 4 doe days!!!! Finally!!!!!

Comment

Good info. Thanks.

Comment

What changes for properties currently on MLD level 3?

Comment

I believe he is wrong about supplemental water. They were considering lowering the req and taking away supplemental feeding as a practice, but supplemental water being removed was NEVER discussed to my knowledge.

Comment

Grazing is still one of the best practices.

Comment

They need to start booting folks that don't really qualify for the program instead of handing out the permits like Bernie sanders would.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                    They need to start booting folks that don't really qualify for the program instead of handing out the permits like Bernie sanders would.
                    I am curious why you feel they should restrict permits when a landowner can invite 20 of his closest friends out to his 73 acres and kill 50 deer throughout he season with no "qualifications". Please elaborate on why you believe more scrutiny needs to be placed on MLD participants.

Comment

Interesting thread.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                        I am curious why you feel they should restrict permits when a landowner can invite 20 of his closest friends out to his 73 acres and kill 50 deer throughout he season with no "qualifications". Please elaborate on why you believe more scrutiny needs to be placed on MLD participants.
                        Right? If nothing else they need to move more small acreage landowners towards this type of program.

There was indeed a lot of interesting information here.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          Right? If nothing else they need to move more small acreage landowners towards this type of program.

There was indeed a lot of interesting information here.
                          I can agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            I can agree with this.
                            I'm not too keen on more government oversight but given that the type of hypothetical scenario I originally quoted can and does happen (all too frequently), we cannot allow that kind of decimation if we're truly going to get serious about quality herd management.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                              Bingo!

Comment

Working...
                              X