No announcement yet.

2016 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, It's been a tough couple days. Had a doe run in on me yesterday but the buck that was behind her wouldn't show himself. Didn't see a dang thing today. There's so many acorns on the place I'm on right now I don't think the deer have to go very far to eat. Really dang frustrating.

Comment

2016 Pushmataha County Thread

This guy recently showed up on the lease! May have a cull for MWW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by B G; 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Man. He is a looker. May he die a quick death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Choot'em, Choot'em

Comment

After many seasons chasing deer with the longbow, I finally took one opening day at 6:00pm on the ranch in Coal County Oklahoma. He is not big, kinda buck toothed but I couldn't be more proud. We have seen a huge slowdown in deer on camera and in person since the smoke poles came out.

We see this every year at this time. Our neighbors drop a ton of deer with black powder, then the long guns come out. We typically hunt hard in October and then pick up again after the neighbors put up the guns for the season. We have great luck in Dec and early Jan.

The drought this year killed off three acres of Eagle soybeans, our oaks are producing only 20% of acorns they normally do and the does are all over them. Don't seem to care about the winter wheat fields, corn feeders or mineral blocks just acorns.

Best of Luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brents-Longbow-Deer copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	24470218

Comment

Got word from my cousin that hunts the same property in Hugo that the deer have been chasing and moving since this cooler weather moved in. His wife put a bad hit on a slick head sunday night, he's been seeing deer every sit. Headed up Friday, supposed to be in the 40's saturday morning. Too excited to work the rest of this week through!

Comment

We just got back from a week of hunting with no kills but had a great time enjoying god's green earth. Saw several shooters that didn't provide ethical shots for those of us who actually use bows other than the 22 long bow. The warm weather was definitely a factor with the most activity Saturday morning I think it was 52ish. They are responding to the grunt tube and light rattling but mostly young bucks and the older ones aren't coming right in ready to scrap but rather show up in the distance usually down wind an try to sneak a peek! This weekend should be good! Wish I could go back out by have early baseball tryouts, soccer, and a wife who threatened bodily harm if I don't take a break good luck to everyone it's about to kick off.......

Comment

Finally caught up with him this morning! Double lung shot he ran 40 yards at 645 this morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post

Finally caught up with him this morning! Double lung shot he ran 40 yards at 645 this morning.

Congrats! Are you in Atoka County?

Comment

Pushmataha county

Comment

Congrats Arrow. That's a nice buck!!

Comment

Yessir! Congrats on taking that tall tined rascal! When you get a chance please post up the blow by blow account.

Awesome Push county buck.

Comment

Another this morning at our place.

Comment

Headed up the end of next week, how will the rut be looking then?

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
                                Headed up the end of next week, how will the rut be looking then?

I'm not sure what the rut is doing. I have probably 30 sits this season, I have seen 1 buck chase a doe, that was last Saturday. I did notice in the last 10 days bucks back on thier scrapes, for about 2 weeks the scrapes went dead no activity then last week they were cleaned out again, also had new rubs show up. I don't know what any of that means. The 2 deer killed this weekend have been on the same pattern for the last 3 weeks. The one I shot was sure enough stinky but his neck was not swolen at all. The best advice I can give is hunt as much as you can, use hand Corn and rice bran to lure them out of the oaks, the buck I shot was full of acorns and corn.

So my Theory is they have already rutted and the 2nd rut is about to kick off about rifle season opener, this is only a guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X