No announcement yet.

2016 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well dad missed early and then had this stud 8 come down the same trail this morning lip curling. It must be seeking phase heavy in the hills of SE Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Two bucks together. They have hunted together for 30 years and first time both scored bucks the same day. These two taught me to hunt and I'm very happy for them. Sure hate not being there with them, but kiddos and family come first.

Dad on the left and uncle on the right.

Comment

Why am I still here working?

Comment

Somebody has to. Lol.

Comment

This beefy tater showed up this past weekend. Just one more for the hitlist!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	24469206

Comment

Wow! Looks like a steer

Comment

Put out a couple of bags of throw and grow just before the rain hit Wednesday before leaving the lease. Hope a week has been enough for it to make a difference. Put it out were we already had plots that crapped out and deer still coming to those areas. Also put out a mineral block at one of them as they hit another one really hard on the other side of the lease last month.

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
                  Two bucks together. They have hunted together for 30 years and first time both scored bucks the same day. These two taught me to hunt and I'm very happy for them. Sure hate not being there with them, but kiddos and family come first.

Dad on the left and uncle on the right.

Those are some good looking bucks. Congrats to your dad and uncle.

Comment

Went down Friday night to hunt Saturday and Sunday, hoping to put another deer on the ground after arrowing a doe in East Texas on Tuesday morning. Got there around 9:30 PM on Friday, drank 2 beers and went to sleep so I could get up early.

6AM came early and I got in my stand overlooking a feed pen where we have rice bran and hand corn spread out, it's about a 20 yard shot to the center of the pen. Morning came and went nary a sign of deer so I pulled the card to see what we had over the last week. Some smaller bucks and doe were in there at first light, all through the night and a lone spike and forkhorn were showing up occasionally in the afternoon.
                    I decided to walk around and scout a little bit. I jumped up a large 10 point (130"+) just across the road from my stand about 25 yards into the woods. I walked down the gravel road and saw where there's a trail that leads to an old logging road. I walked parallel with the trail and within 20 yards of where the trail meets the gravel road, I see a fresh scrape underneath a licking branch. Bingo.

I hastily made an ambush spot on the ground by piling dead trees around me and a cluster of small oaks I was hiding behind. I setup my chair and screwed a bow hanger into one of the trees and came back to try it out about 2PM. I didn't see anything all evening and was admittedly doubting my "awesome" new spot when a doe comes running by me, right to left, like she's running from something. There's heavy hunting pressure right now from the camp next to us and being that it's muzzleloader season, I reasoned it could have been that or a coyote. I tried to get her to stop with a grunt but she didn't stop until 35 yards and I missed underneath her. I was ticked off at myself for missing and not pre ranging that spot when I remembered what my dad always told me. "If you see a doe running, get ready, because a buck is probably running right behind her." I no sooner nocked another arrow when I heard the unmistakable grunts of a buck trailing her as he trotted exactly on her previous trail, "burp, burp, burp", with every step he made, nose to the ground, in hot pursuit.

I drew back and gave him a grunt to stop him and he stopped at 26 yards with a small sapling right where I wanted to shoot. No problem, I just aimed a little to the right of the tree and since he was quartering away from me, I should still zip through his vitals. I settled my nose to the string, notched my new kisser button in the corner of my mouth (what a godsend), bubble on my sight lined up level, slowly pulled back the trigger on my release and made sure to keep my bow arm level until I heard the impact of the arrow. THWACK! The 420 grain FMJ slammed into him and he kicked both his back legs and tore out of there. I listened intently as he ran like he was hurt and it sounded like I heard him crash hard less than 100 yards downhill.

I sent some texts and got 2 of my buddies who were here with me at the lease to come help with the search. I located my arrow before they arrived, it was a complete passthrough and 15 yards behind where the deer was standing, but minimal blood, no hair and no lung bubbles. My heart sank a little bit as I criss crossed where he ran to and couldn't locate a single drop of blood.

As soon as my help arrived, we found the buck 65-70 yards from where I shot him. Zero blood trail, even though my arrow got a clean passthrough and double lunged him (as evidenced by an autopsy afterwords). There was a pile of blood where he fell and about 10 yards leading up to him, which I'm assuming is where he started sliding or flipping. He's not the biggest buck but he's my first with a bow and I got that monkey off my back. Now I can relax the rest of the season and concentrate on some of the beasts we have on camera, passing on the smaller bucks like this one and maybe whack another doe before it's said and done.

Bow was an Xpedition Xcentric 7, 56# and 28" DL, shooting Easton FMJ's at 259 FPS, topped with 100 grain Kudupoints broadheads. I'm going to give the Kudupoints another try and chalk this up to a fluke because of the size of the holes it left and the amazing flight I'm getting from these heads. If they give me poor blood trails again, I'll go back to NAP Spitfires and won't look back. Thanks for reading, now the pics:

Entrance^^^^

Exit^^^

Entrance ^^^

Exit ^^^^

Last edited by Daniel75; 10-30-2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Bottom line is the chasing has begun. It only takes one hot doe, or about to be hot doe, for the whole mountain to come alive and have deer running everywhere.

Comment

2016 Pushmataha County Thread

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                        Bottom line is the chasing has begun. It only takes one hot doe, or about to be hot doe, for the whole mountain to come alive and have deer running everywhere.

Congrats. Heading up tomorrow night for the week. Temps will stink but hoping new
                        moon helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kva393 View Post
                          Congrats. Heading up tomorrow night for the week. Temps will stink but hoping new
                          moon helps.

I think you're hitting the frontside of prime time.

Comment

Originally posted by kva393 View Post
                            moon helps.

I was thinking about waiting to go up on Wed-Thurs but with all of this I will probably be up there by Tuesday evening. Hate camping out by myself but may have to suck it up until CrookHunter can get free and come up Thursday or Friday. Really hate to miss any of the chasing phase when we have the doe coming in and are getting good bucks on cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                              Went down Friday night to hunt Saturday and Sunday, hoping to put another deer on the ground after arrowing a doe in East Texas on Tuesday morning. Got there around 9:30 PM on Friday, drank 2 beers and went to sleep so I could get up early.

6AM came early and I got in my stand overlooking a feed pen where we have rice bran and hand corn spread out, it's about a 20 yard shot to the center of the pen. Morning came and went nary a sign of deer so I pulled the card to see what we had over the last week. Some smaller bucks and doe were in there at first light, all through the night and a lone spike and forkhorn were showing up occasionally in the afternoon.
                              I decided to walk around and scout a little bit. I jumped up a large 10 point (130"+) just across the road from my stand about 25 yards into the woods. I walked down the gravel road and saw where there's a trail that leads to an old logging road. I walked parallel with the trail and within 20 yards of where the trail meets the gravel road, I see a fresh scrape underneath a licking branch. Bingo.

I hastily made an ambush spot on the ground by piling dead trees around me and a cluster of small oaks I was hiding behind. I setup my chair and screwed a bow hanger into one of the trees and came back to try it out about 2PM. I didn't see anything all evening and was admittedly doubting my "awesome" new spot when a doe comes running by me, right to left, like she's running from something. There's heavy hunting pressure right now from the camp next to us and being that it's muzzleloader season, I reasoned it could have been that or a coyote. I tried to get her to stop with a grunt but she didn't stop until 35 yards and I missed underneath her. I was ticked off at myself for missing and not pre ranging that spot when I remembered what my dad always told me. "If you see a doe running, get ready, because a buck is probably running right behind her." I no sooner nocked another arrow when I heard the unmistakable grunts of a buck trailing her as he trotted exactly on her previous trail, "burp, burp, burp", with every step he made, nose to the ground, in hot pursuit.

I drew back and gave him a grunt to stop him and he stopped at 26 yards with a small sapling right where I wanted to shoot. No problem, I just aimed a little to the right of the tree and since he was quartering away from me, I should still zip through his vitals. I settled my nose to the string, notched my new kisser button in the corner of my mouth (what a godsend), bubble on my sight lined up level, slowly pulled back the trigger on my release and made sure to keep my bow arm level until I heard the impact of the arrow. THWACK! The 420 grain FMJ slammed into him and he kicked both his back legs and tore out of there. I listened intently as he ran like he was hurt and it sounded like I heard him crash hard less than 100 yards downhill.

I sent some texts and got 2 of my buddies who were here with me at the lease to come help with the search. I located my arrow before they arrived, it was a complete passthrough and 15 yards behind where the deer was standing, but minimal blood, no hair and no lung bubbles. My heart sank a little bit as I criss crossed where he ran to and couldn't locate a single drop of blood.

As soon as my help arrived, we found the buck 65-70 yards from where I shot him. Zero blood trail, even though my arrow got a clean passthrough and double lunged him (as evidenced by an autopsy afterwords). There was a pile of blood where he fell and about 10 yards leading up to him, which I'm assuming is where he started sliding or flipping. He's not the biggest buck but he's my first with a bow and I got that monkey off my back. Now I can relax the rest of the season and concentrate on some of the beasts we have on camera, passing on the smaller bucks like this one and maybe whack another doe before it's said and done.

Bow was an Xpedition Xcentric 7, 56# and 28" DL, shooting Easton FMJ's at 259 FPS, topped with 100 grain Kudupoints broadheads. I'm going to give the Kudupoints another try and chalk this up to a fluke because of the size of the holes it left and the amazing flight I'm getting from these heads. If they give me poor blood trails again, I'll go back to NAP Spitfires and won't look back. Thanks for reading, now the pics:

Entrance^^^^

Exit^^^

Entrance ^^^

Exit ^^^^

Nice work, Daniel! The first one is the hardest. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Comment

I was finally able to get an arrow in the buck we've been after for 3 years in Caddo. We've had pictures of him every year in October then he would always vanish around mid November. We worried he was dead every year but he'd start showing up on camera again each September. It was really cool to finally get our hands on him!!! The first pic is him in 2014, the second is 2015, and the third is from this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bfb 2014.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	24469355

Name:	BFB.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	24469359

Name:	bfb 2016.jpg