Planting food plot for the entire season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting food plot for the entire season

I have a piece of ground that I haul my tractor to do I can plant plots. Would like to plant my spring and fall plots at the same time. Does any body else do this? What seems to be the best fall plants that you seed in the spring? Thanks for the help.

Maybe clover? It does well on my property in Wisconsin, but I have very good dirt and typically reliable rainfall. The deer have plenty to eat too, so there isn't much pressure on the plots typically. It is good for "cool season". We did establish it in the fall though, but I think spring planting is possible.

Interested to see what anyone else has to say myself. I would love to plant food plots where I hunt in Texas, but I think it would be a waste of time over by Del Rio (without irrigation.)

Comment

Honestly a year round food plot is unicorn....it doesn't exist here in Texas. You can get ~ 9 months if you get good rainfall in late spring/early summer with chicory and durana clover.

I've been looking for a one stop shop planting for several years and haven't found it yet.

The only exception would be Alfalfa...It can be year round depending on its winter dormancy... but it's hard to establish and grow. Strict pH requirements and also have to add things like boron and other soil inputs.

Comment

When do you think you will get down this way?

Comment

SOYBEAN SOYBEAN SOYBEAN! THAT STUFF IS AWESOME!!! Put some milorganite down after you plant, it will allow it to get established. If the deer nip off the first growth, it's done. The milorganite will last around 30 days give or take, I go back at 20 or so and put more down. Also, after it starts growing put some trip 13 down before a rain. Has excellent palatable protein and fiber. Will grow until the first frost.

Comment

If you're worried about drought/flooding, try Eagle brand. It cost a little more, BUT it's drought and flood tolerant.

Comment

Working...
            X