Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spikes? Who has a ton of them this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing over 1" on the top one on left side, just bumps, bottom one is a slick spike on his right side that stayed in velvet until I quit seeing him around Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
      Nothing over 1" on the top one on left side, just bumps, bottom one is a slick spike on his right side that stayed in velvet until I quit seeing him around Thanksgiving.
      I think their point is that the definition of a spike is usually defined as having no branched antlers on either side. And TPWD also defines a spike buck this way.

A "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. A "spike buck deer" is a buck with no antler having more than one point. All other deer are antlerless deer. A spike buck must be tagged with a buck deer tag from the hunter's hunting license or applicable permit.

From here under "Definitions": https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...te-tailed-deer

Comment

Was going with what the spike tag could get put on.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
          Was going with what the spike tag could get put on.
          Spike tag . . . hmm . . . can't find one of those on my license.

I see what you're getting at, but those would still be considered 'at least one unbranched antler' bucks instead of spikes.

Comment

I normally don't use them either.

Just a matter of lingo, I've never used unbranched when it comes to deer.

Comment

We have seen a total of 2 spikes all year. One had fairly long spikes that actually beamed out and the other had maybe 3" spikes. This is in Fisher county. I have at least 6 button bucks for sure, maybe more. This is one 630 acres. Lots of does and younger bucks, too. I think I lost a lot of my older, mature bucks 2 years ago to either the drought or post rut stress. Only saw 4 bucks over 4.5 all year and 2 of those were cull bucks (one was a 6.5 year old 4 pt, had 19" beams, and brow tines. Looked like a bull's horns with brows and a buck with a fork and kicker on one side and a stub on other, 4 4/8 inch bases.

Comment

[ATTACH]766403[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]766404[/ATTACH]

Comment

we have seen a few more then normal also!!!! On a LF place with protein fed year around

We only shot 1 but had 2-3 more on camera plus one that looks like a spike with 3-4 that are less then 1 inch points

Comment

Working...
                    X