Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Optimal age to take a mature buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really depends on the area and the individual deer. From what I've seen, South Texas is probably 6.5-7.5 for LF depending on the management practices. Where I hunt in East Texas, it's 5.5-6.5. I've had some that stay the same or maybe add 5" from 4.5 to 5.5 then go downhill at 6.5. I've had others that jump 15-20" from 4.5 to 5.5. It really just depends on so many factors I don't think anyone can say a certain age is optimal. We all can say on average but it really depends on the deer and his environment. My deer barely have any teeth at 7.5.

Comment

Make sure to include the .5 on the age so we know exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
        It really depends on the area and the individual deer. From what I've seen, South Texas is probably 6.5-7.5 for LF depending on the management practices. Where I hunt in East Texas, it's 5.5-6.5. I've had some that stay the same or maybe add 5" from 4.5 to 5.5 then go downhill at 6.5. I've had others that jump 15-20" from 4.5 to 5.5. It really just depends on so many factors I don't think anyone can say a certain age is optimal. We all can say on average but it really depends on the deer and his environment. My deer barely have any teeth at 7.5.
        Thats odd. My east tx deer have 5yr old teeth at 7. They dont eat much sand though. I have three deer right now that i know are over 10. They are super healthy and i presume their teeth are still good..

i have seen the same thing on deer falling back at 6. I personally think thats because they rut so hard at 5. Inn my case several of the deer that were not much at 6 turned into great deer at 8.

i think the answer here involves so many variables that there is no clear cut age to lay out. Sure is a fun game though. trail cameras and years of history have destroyed my hard held opinions of the past.

Comment

As Far as Min. Age It would Be 6.5yrs old before Harvest. The Year Most deer will grow their Best Horns Ever will Be Somewhere Between 5.5 and 10yrs Old. It will Very For Every Deer Depending on the Hand Life Deals him. If Your Happy with Him Take Him at 5.5. If you Want to Kill A Huge Deer Than Do Kill one Before He's Huge

Comment

Working...
          X