Buck Progression- Age question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Progression- Age question

I first saw this deer 2 seasons ago and fell in love with him. He isn't near the biggest of the deer on the ranch, but a beautiful specimen. I have him at 3.5 in the first couple of pictures as a slick 8. I also have a couple pictures of him as a mainframe 10 with a couple kickers. I'm guessing he's 5.5 now? I have some bigger deer coming into the feeder but something about this deer is really neat. I keep telling myself that I want to give him another year.

I'm wanting some thoughts on age before and now. Shoot or not to shoot? Thanks for the info and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    Attached Files

5.5 shoot

Comment

Agree with 5.5. And agree with your description--he's a great looking deer.

Comment

I think he could have been a 4.5 in 2013

Comment

6.5 now?

Comment

He wouldn't get a pass from me but we're on a low fence place. If he can be protected, it would be great to see what he does next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              He wouldn't get a pass from me but we're on a low fence place. If he can be protected, it would be great to see what he does next year.
              I agree it's possible he could have been 4.5 in 2013, was thinking he was 5.5-6.5 this year. This is also on a low fence place, but it's large enough that there really isn't any risk of him taking off. I don't think he will ever make the book, but he's a cool deer and it's been neat watching him go from an 8 to a 12.

Comment

I think that deer is 6.5. I would give him one more year. Won't hurt nothing plus you can enjoy him grow another rack through next summer. Pretty good chance it will be bigger.

Comment

I think he was 4 then and is 6 now.

Comment

I'd give him two more years. My best bucks have peaked at 8.5.

Comment

yes shoot, you like him and he has nice mass. 5.5-6.5 nice mass

Comment

looks to be a 4 year old in the first pictures so 6 now. I would pass if possible for two reasons, 1: another year of breeding 2: I agree with them peaking at 7-8 years old

Comment

I would go with 5.5. But, I would not shoot him in your case. Mainly due to the facts you said you really liked him and that you said you have bigger on the ranch. If you have bigger, target one of them. Let this one breed one last time to spread the genes that you like so much about him.

Comment

Here he is this year, not bad for a once slick 8. What are your thoughts on score?
                            Attached Files

Comment

what a perfect example in real life of the value of waiting and letting a deer mature.

in this years set of pics that deer has potential of pushing 200 inches if you let him go - he is probably 6 but obviously he lives in the area and if you are not worried about him getting shot by someone else I would watch him till next year - awesome potential

His 2s are good but his 3s are awesome - the middle pic tells it all

for what its worth I passed on a 175 inch 9 point and the next season he grew to 201 inches and made the book - whatever you decide he is a great looking deer

Comment

Working...
                              X