Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    The buck that was mistakenly shot this past fall was picked up from the taxidermist. It appears that his teeth show that he was 4.5yrs, see below:
    [ATTACH]1085991[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of the skull mount:
    [ATTACH]1085990[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture that shows the history we had with him:
    [ATTACH]1085992[/ATTACH]

I think he was most likely a 4.5yr old, possibly a 5.5yr old at the very oldest. How old do you guys think this buck was?
    I'm no expert but I say 5.5 because that first pic looks like a 3.5 yr old not a 2.5 yr old to me. I think you are definitely in the right range at 4.5 to 5.5.

Comment

I'm not far (McCulloch county), and with that history and those pics, I would call that deer at least 5 on our lease and deer log. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was even a year older than that.

I keep an extensive buck log with similar kinds of pics and dates like you posted. From my log of our deer, and their body and antler progression through the years, he's got a textbook big 3/average 4 YO body and antler frame (for our deer) in the 19/20 season pic. That would put him at either 5 or 6. Your deer may differ though.

You can throw the teeth out the window

Comment

I too hunt Brady and I would call that deer 5 or 6. Dang shame ha got killed so young.

Comment

You inviting that hunter back out?! Ouch

Comment

Judging from the pictures I’d definitely call him 5, maybe 6.

Comment

Place is looking great!

Comment

Agree with everyone else 5-6, teeth are dumb, and I would have made that joker shoulder mount that buck!

Comment

I would guess him at 5 or 6. But that’s just a guess.

Hope you didn’t let the Jack *** keep the horns.

Comment

At least 5.

Comment

Still mad about that "mistake" for you. I would've made the hunter get that deer shoulder mounted.

Comment

All the trees are doing well even with how dry it is out there. We’ve been watering them once every 3-4 weeks over the past 2 months since it’s been so dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son, Mason, found “Big Brows’” sheds from the 2020-21 deer season. Hoping to find his sheds from this past season. We are really hoping he blows up this year and adds another 10+ inches.

Comment

I was hoping that we could get my son a turkey this past weekend but the birds weren’t gobbling at all. I took his youth 870 express and put a red dot scope on it and he was all dialed in and ready to go but the birds didn’t cooperate.

Comment

Here is a picture of the field that was burned in February. We haven’t received any rain since it burned so it’s pretty sparse. Praying for some much needed rain.

Comment

The San Saba river is still flowing and the kids loved jumping off the rock ledges into the deeper pools.

Comment

Working...
                                X