Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021-22 Deer Season #'s

We ended up taking 9 doe this fall and 8 bucks. 7 out of the 8 bucks were all considered "cull" bucks. We were trying to only shoot CULLS this year and no trophies but 1 trophy ended up getting shot. We are excited to see how much better our deer herd can become this next season with the number of mouths we removed, more food for every deer, and with all of the improved habitat projects we are working on - prescribed burning, planting native forbs and trees, etc. We will be sure to keep you posted on all of our projects.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      We ended up taking 9 doe this fall and 8 bucks. 7 out of the 8 bucks were all considered "cull" bucks. We were trying to only shoot CULLS this year and no trophies but 1 trophy ended up getting shot. We are excited to see how much better our deer herd can become this next season with the number of mouths we removed, more food for every deer, and with all of the improved habitat projects we are working on - prescribed burning, planting native forbs and trees, etc. We will be sure to keep you posted on all of our projects.
      What is the number of deer that you're trying to keep your population at?

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
        What is the number of deer that you're trying to keep your population at?
        We are trying to keep around 50 deer total (post season) to stay around 8 acres per deer. Our thoughts are that if we can increase the amount of quality native forage for each deer by keeping the numbers in check and providing a 24/7 buffet of cottonseed and 20% protein that it should help improve our deer herd and help the bucks grow larger antlers.

Comment

We are trying to keep around 50 deer total (post season) to stay around 8 acres per deer. Our thoughts are that if we can increase the amount of quality native forage for each deer by keeping the numbers in check and providing a 24/7 buffet of cottonseed and 20% protein that it should help improve our deer herd and help the bucks grow larger antlers.
          That's awesome man, y'all are doing great. Thanks for the response.

Comment

The turkeys are making their way back. We didn’t see many gobblers this fall, mostly hens. We always see a handful of gobblers in the spring and then once the fall/winter get here the gobblers move on and then make their way back. I hope these gobblers stay through the spring turkey season. Our turkey feeders are filled with milo, corn and protein feeders are going, and have a nice 20 acre field burned so they have plenty of food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The turkeys are making their way back. We didn’t see many gobblers this fall, mostly hens. We always see a handful of gobblers in the spring and then once the fall/winter get here the gobblers move on and then make their way back. I hope these gobblers stay through the spring turkey season. Our turkey feeders are filled with milo, corn and protein feeders are going, and have a nice 20 acre field burned so they have plenty of food!

We were on a lease off I10 east of Segovia and had the same situation. Rarely saw turkeys during the fall and the ones we saw were small groups of hens. Starting in about March though, it was like a light switch and all the sudden gobblers would appear.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                We were on a lease off I10 east of Segovia and had the same situation. Rarely saw turkeys during the fall and the ones we saw were small groups of hens. Starting in about March though, it was like a light switch and all the sudden gobblers would appear.
                I'm not sure where they go during fall/winter but you are right, it's like a light switch come March. I have one picture from today with 4 long beards and 10 jakes at one feeder. They are all over us now. I'm hoping I can get my 8yr old son on his first turkey this spring...fingers crossed.

Comment

That’s the biggest beard I’ve ever seen on a hen for the one on the far left.

Comment

Several long beards and jakes.

Comment

Gobbler identifying as a hen.

But that is a big beard for a hen.

Thanks for sharing these photos.

Comment

Here’s a picture that shows a portion of where we burned. There is green growth everywhere even though we haven’t had any rain. I’m sure the wildlife is eating a lot of the new green growth.

Comment

Another picture

Comment

We were going to try to plant a 4 acre field with cowpeas, sunn hemp, buckwheat, sorghum, etc. over Easter weekend but if we don't any rain then I don't see any reason to plant. Anybody else planning to plant any Spring/Summer plots? If so, what's the latest date where you have had success?

Comment

Turkey

I'm hoping to go turkey hunting over Easter break.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	24681739

I may need to add a beard to my hen decoys!

We could really use some rain out there along with everywhere else in our state. We are still at 1.3in for the year and 90% of that came in January and February.

Comment

Buck

The buck that was mistakenly shot this past fall was picked up from the taxidermist. It appears that his teeth show that he was 4.5yrs, see below:

Name:	Teeth 2.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	24681741

Here is a picture of the skull mount:

Name:	Teeth 3.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24681740

Here is a picture that shows the history we had with him:

Name:	Buck History.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	24681742

I think he was most likely a 4.5yr old, possibly a 5.5yr old at the very oldest. How old do you guys think this buck was?

Comment

Working...
                                X