Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s another picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Set up a mineral station in each feed pen with 50lbs of Redmond #10 fine with garlic and a Trophy rock on top of a t-post. Curious to see if the deer use it or not.

Comment

Here’s a picture of the cull buck our family friend shot this weekend along with one last doe. The buck dressed out at 132lbs, which is pretty good for the month of February.

Last edited by bgleaton; 02-27-2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Quick update - we did 2 small burn piles on Saturday since it was raining and the humidity was 70% all day. We had made a blackened circle around both burn piles that was around 10ft wide and it still somehow spread today. We even drove by them this morning to check them and nothing was burning at all, just smoldering. Fast forward to around noon and it somehow ended up burning around 15 acres. It was a perfect unintentional burn. We are just happy it didn’t get out of control. I’m curious to see how this field looks this Spring.

We went from yesterday where we couldn’t light any grass due to a constant misting rain and high humidity to today where we had low humidity, radiant sun, and higher winds. It just shows you how quickly things can change when dealing with fire even when you think you have everything covered. I am bringing this up to help share our experience so it doesn’t happen to anyone else as it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited by bgleaton; 02-27-2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

So glad it didn't get super windy this afternoon!! My brother volunteers with the Hext Volunteer Fire Department and says it always surprises him how fast brush can dry out and ignite. I'm thankful for you guys it didn't get out of control and at least you were able to get some stuff burned.
                Last edited by Lee230; 02-27-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Congrats to your buddy for shooting a nice buck and getting that deer off the feed bill!!

Comment

Biggest thing to remember with brush piles is they will burn for a week or sometimes more depending on size of trees and a few other factors. That’s usually why I like waiting until spring green up to light them, so they don’t have too far to creep.
                    All in all though, it looks like you ended up having a burn this weekend without any major problems. Glad you got some black on the property, even if it may not have been the way you planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                      Biggest thing to remember with brush piles is they will burn for a week or sometimes more depending on size of trees and a few other factors. That’s usually why I like waiting until spring green up to light them, so they don’t have too far to creep.
                      All in all though, it looks like you ended up having a burn this weekend without any major problems. Glad you got some black on the property, even if it may not have been the way you planned.
                      Thanks for the tip! We won’t be burning brush piles any longer until spring and only after a big rainfall event (1in+). It was definitely a good learning experience for all of us and you are right about them burning a long time.

It’s crazy how long brush piles burn. We had one huge pile that was smoldering for over a month last year.

We are definitely happy with the unexpected outcome and can’t wait to see how it looks this Spring.
                      Last edited by bgleaton; 02-27-2022, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                        So glad it didn't get super windy this afternoon!! My brother volunteers with the Hext Volunteer Fire Department and says it always surprises him how fast brush can dry out and ignite. I'm thankful for you guys it didn't get out of control and at least you were able to get some stuff burned.
                        We make a small donation to the Hext fire department every year and have met several of the guys there, very nice crew! He’s exactly right about how quickly things can change. We literally could not get the 16in tall grass to burn even a little bit after dumping the drip torch all over it on Saturday and it kept misting all day and through this morning. We were even getting mud stuck on our tires it was so misty out there but once the sun came out, had clear skies, and the wind stayed 10+mph for a couple of hours, the grass dried out and ignited! We normally use our tractor to push the coals into the center once it’s all burned out and then take 3 or 4 huge piles of dirt and cover it all up. We didn’t think we needed to do that here bc these piles were very small but boy were we wrong. Live and learn!

Comment

Pictures of a pretty morning.

Comment

Comment

Comment

That’ll be a great “food plot” for finding sheds and also chasing Turkey in before too long! Should green up nicely in short order.

Comment

Working...
                                X