No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a beautiful ranch! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
      I ordered 25 pecans and 25 skunkbush sumacs for my little place in Taylor County. I’m going to buy some tubes for the pecans(after seeing how well your trees have done), but I’m wondering what to do for the sumacs? They are a shrub, and I think a 24” tube is going to be way too tall.

For the shrubs, you probably want to put a weed mat down and then just put them inside a large cage with two t-posts. That will prevent animals from eating it and the weed mat will help keep moisture around the roots. I wouldn't put a tree tube on a shrub. We installed weed matts and then put around a 1-inch mulch layer over top of the mat.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
        For the shrubs, you probably want to put a weed mat down and then just put them inside a large cage with two t-posts. That will prevent animals from eating it and the weed mat will help keep moisture around the roots. I wouldn't put a tree tube on a shrub. We installed weed matts and then put around a 1-inch mulch layer over top of the mat.
        Sounds good, I’ll give it a try! Thank you!

Comment

We got our first rainfall for the year today. I received a notification through our weather station and then logged onto the ambient weather app and it shows we have received 0.23in for the day and it was still raining at a rate of 0.05in when I took this screenshot. As you can see, it shows the actual rate of rainfall, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. I’m very impressed with it so far. I’ll be out there tomorrow to check this with the actual rain gauges we have on the house fence for a comparison to see how accurate it is.

Note - we ended up getting 0.26in for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by bgleaton; 01-11-2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Good for you! Only .08 here in Blanket. Newsis calling a large area including us as “severe drought”

BP

Comment

The weather station ended up reporting 0.30in of rain on Tuesday. My dad got out there yesterday and said the rain gauges on the fence were right on 0.30in so it appears that it's pretty accurate thus far.

Comment

Pretty 9pt! Interested to see what he looks like next season!?!?

We shot another doe this weekend and put out another 1,000lbs of cottonseed. I had a good buddy, our two boys, and two of their friends in our big blind and they had a ball hunting with us and tracking the doe.

Comment

Great looking prospect right there, hopefully he puts a G4 on that right side.

Comment

Love that 9! Man I love this thread. If lucky, I want to do the same thing one day

I love managing deer

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      Love that 9! Man I love this thread. If lucky, I want to do the same thing one day

I love managing deer
                      Thanks! It's definitely fun to see how much the deer herd has improved since we purchased the place and even over the past 3 or 4 years. We hope to continue to grow large native deer and see how big we can get these native deer. I still love to go hunting but managing the deer herd and doing habitat improvement projects have become my favorite things to do. It's definitely a long term project.

Comment

Thanks! It's definitely fun to see how much the deer herd has improved since we purchased the place and even over the past 3 or 4 years. We hope to continue to grow large native deer and see how big we can get these native deer. I still love to go hunting but managing the deer herd and doing habitat improvement projects have become my favorite things to do. It's definitely a long term project.
                        I agree! I am like you. I love it

Keep up the great work

Comment

Hope these gobblers stay around and through the Spring!

Comment

Are y’all seeing any quail? We had some a couple years back and haven’t seen or heard any in a while.

Comment

We haven’t seen any quail for a while. I’m hoping that we start seeing some soon since we have been not grazing cattle for over a year now and will be doing a control burn in some areas next month as long as we get some rain.

Comment

Hope these gobblers stay around and through the Spring!

I have two bunches of gobblers hanging around
                                But zero hens. First spring with this property so hope we see some nesting.
                                I removed 125 varmints in the past 13 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X