Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PittBoss View Post
    Semi tall 2’s and 3’s, small g4 on the left….you gotta remember, most people don’t live, breathe and eat this stuff like a lot of us do…..
    There is 30” of difference between the two. You don’t have to live and breathe anything to see that difference. Plus, if you’re a guest, you should be extra careful. That’s unacceptable.

Comment

Semi tall 2’s and 3’s, small g4 on the left….you gotta remember, most people don’t live, breathe and eat this stuff like a lot of us do…..
      Yep! I thought the large forked G2 would be easy enough to distinguish along with that this buck was 30in larger but this one is definitely on me for trusting this person to make the right choice. I wanted to explain to him how much time and money we put into this and how this sets us back but since they are part of our family I figured I would just let it be. He could tell by my reaction that they messed up especially when I got back to the house and filled a large glass of whiskey and drove away for 30min to cool off. I’m very passionate about deer management but it’s not worth ruining a relationship. Although, it would have reduced the sting a little bit if they agreed to fill the feeders a couple of times but that ain’t happening….lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        Ouch. My first reaction was that it looks bigger than 142”

On our Leon County place, I loved allowing friends hunt and shoot whatever pigs (instead of deer) they wanted.

My rancher has his guests send real-time photos to discuss culls before the shot.

BP
        I like the idea of taking pictures of the buck before shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          I like the idea of taking pictures of the buck before shooting.
          I don’t let anyone hunt alone that I don’t trust. Even then, I still make them send pics of a buck before shooting.

Most folks truly have NO idea what they are looking at. Oh the stories I could tell…

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
            There is 30” of difference between the two. You don’t have to live and breathe anything to see that difference. Plus, if you’re a guest, you should be extra careful. That’s unacceptable.
            Hey, I don’t disagree but ask someone that rarely hunts to score a deer. They have no idea what 30” of horn even means…

Comment

I just went through the numbers and the buck ended up scoring right at 149in. Please note that this is gross score. He would have definitely been above 150in next year but that will never happen. Live and learn!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                I just went through the numbers and the buck ended up scoring right at 149in. Please note that this is gross score. He would have definitely been above 150in next year but that will never happen. Live and learn!
                Gut punch!! I hope the guest is shoulder mounting his cull!

Comment

Hope that he is at the very least footing the bill for a shoulder mount of that beauty!

Comment

I’m very passionate about deer management but it’s not worth ruining a relationship. Although, it would have reduced the sting a little bit if they agreed to fill the feeders a couple of times but that ain’t happening
                    Take my word, if you dont get pzzzed off by this, in front of everybody especially the people who did this then stuff like this will happen over and over. Sounds like a family member who is close enough to get invited to hunt, but not close enough to make decisions on the ranch....those are normally the worst kinds of family and seem to want to "hang out" alot from about November till New years.

I've hunted on a ranch that is well known and the ranch owner has killed countless monster bucks. His 18 year old son shot the wrong buck a few years ago, and the ranch owner (his dad) made him sit with the ranch manager for years after that. Everybody who hunted out there has heard the story and we all know not to screw up. If he'll do that to his son, imagine what he will do to non family members. And I dont think he did it to punish his son, he did it so the story would get around and everybody would get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                      Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                      I don’t let anyone hunt alone that I don’t trust. Even then, I still make them send pics of a buck before shooting.

Most folks truly have NO idea what they are looking at. Oh the stories I could tell…
                      Well said! Not sure I would be so nice and let this guy hunt again with anyone but me!

**** poor and dude has no clue, like most people

Comment

Bum deal on the buck. Really enjoy your thread and you are doing some really cool improvements. Where did you pick up the weather station?

Comment

Originally posted by chance love View Post
                          i don’t let anyone hunt alone that i don’t trust. Even then, i still make them send pics of a buck before shooting.

most folks truly have no idea what they are looking at. Oh the stories i could tell…
                          100% fact!!!!

Comment

Hey, I don’t disagree but ask someone that rarely hunts to score a deer. They have no idea what 30” of horn even means…
                            You’re probably right. Ignorance isn’t an excuse in my opinion though. I tend to be pretty picky on deer that we grow/hunt and take it a lot more serious than most people. That being said, props to the OP for being level headed enough to handle it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
                              Bum deal on the buck. Really enjoy your thread and you are doing some really cool improvements. Where did you pick up the weather station?

I purchased it on Amazon.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I ordered 25 pecans and 25 skunkbush sumacs for my little place in Taylor County. I’m going to buy some tubes for the pecans(after seeing how well your trees have done), but I’m wondering what to do for the sumacs? They are a shrub, and I think a 24” tube is going to be way too tall.

Comment

Working...
                                X