X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a pic of what they shot?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

I’m sick to report that this deer was shot this weekend mistakenly as the hunter was going after an 9pt cull buck and shot this 5yr old instead. We had really high hopes for this buck over the next two years but it is what it is. He ended up grossing 142in and were hoping he would be 150+ within the next two years and be a great trophy for one of us. This was a huge learning experience for me as I will be sure either myself, my brothers, or my dad will be in the blind for all buck hunts. I had pictures in the blind that showed what buck they needed to shoot but that was obviously not enough. The only reason I’m bringing this up is so others do not have to go through this same situation and learn from my mistake bc it was a tough situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Oh wow!! Not cool.. Guests SMH.. I cannot imagine the tension in the air over this..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        Oh wow!! Not cool.. Guests SMH.. I cannot imagine the tension in the air over this..
        X2!! Hate to hear it, definitely sucks

Comment

Gosh that sucks. Definitely a learning lesson for sure, and no one buck hunts without one of yall

Comment

Man yall are doing it right! Love it

Comment

I was fortunate enough to hunt my dad's friends ranch that he owned outside of Roosevelt. It was very similar to ya'lls setup. Just over 500 acres, low fence originally but the amount of axis kept the whitetail away from the feeders and really hindered them. He had dreams of having big whitetail so he high fenced it, but he introduced genetics, with 15 or so ear tagged does and throughout the time probably put 7 or so breeder bucks on the property.

He would have guests out constantly and out of the 20-25 ear tagged animals he had released on the place, all but 1-2 were "mistakenly" killed by guests. Most were killed before being on the property for even a whole year. He was very lenient and would let anyone shoot whatever they wanted with his only rule being to not shoot deer with ear tags. Almost every weekend that he would have a group of guests out I could guarantee that when I would speak with him at least one ear tagged deer would have been shot. In fact, one doctor was out there with his son who was friends with the ranch owners younger son. He put them in a stand and told them shoot whatever you'd like, just not any ear tags, and there are two ear tagged younger bucks coming into this stand every evening so just be careful. He heard two shots right before dark and when they went to pick them up, you guessed it, both had been killed.

Moral of the story is, if you are letting someone shoot a buck, you need to be sitting with them because people can convince themselves what they want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                I was fortunate enough to hunt my dad's friends ranch that he owned outside of Roosevelt. It was very similar to ya'lls setup. Just over 500 acres, low fence originally but the amount of axis kept the whitetail away from the feeders and really hindered them. He had dreams of having big whitetail so he high fenced it, but he introduced genetics, with 15 or so ear tagged does and throughout the time probably put 7 or so breeder bucks on the property.

He would have guests out constantly and out of the 20-25 ear tagged animals he had released on the place, all but 1-2 were "mistakenly" killed by guests. Most were killed before being on the property for even a whole year. He was very lenient and would let anyone shoot whatever they wanted with his only rule being to not shoot deer with ear tags. Almost every weekend that he would have a group of guests out I could guarantee that when I would speak with him at least one ear tagged deer would have been shot. In fact, one doctor was out there with his son who was friends with the ranch owners younger son. He put them in a stand and told them shoot whatever you'd like, just not any ear tags, and there are two ear tagged younger bucks coming into this stand every evening so just be careful. He heard two shots right before dark and when they went to pick them up, you guessed it, both had been killed.

Moral of the story is, if you are letting someone shoot a buck, you need to be sitting with them because people can convince themselves what they want to see.

I couldn't agree more. I totally blame myself for this entire thing and it makes me sick. I thought the pictures of the 9 point cull buck were clear enough but obviously they weren't paying attention. My 8-yr old was in the blind with them and as soon as he walked up and saw the buck he said, "this isn't a cull buck! You shot the wrong buck!". I will eventually get over it but going forward no one will be allowed to shoot any bucks without one of us in the blind with them. The tough thing is that we want trophy bucks to be running around here until 8yrs old or so and because our place isn't very big it really hurts as far as having multiple trophies to shoot in the future. Here is a picture of the cull buck we were after:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	24673485

Comment

Ouch-tough loss there. Hate to see that. Very few people have a good eye for deer antlers and cannot distinguish differences. I look at that buck and you know what jumps out at me??? Without even looking at his headgear, he has a very recognizable face. Plain and simple. Real easy. But that is just me.

Comment

Originally posted by PittBoss View Post
                    Got a pic of what they shot?
                    Oops…I meant the deer they were supposed to shoot….thx for posting…

Comment

They don’t even look similar. I typed out a long response, but decided it probably didn’t need to be said. Such a shame. Losing one like that hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                        They don’t even look similar. I typed out a long response, but decided it probably didn’t need to be said. Such a shame. Losing one like that hurts.
                        Semi tall 2’s and 3’s, small g4 on the left….you gotta remember, most people don’t live, breathe and eat this stuff like a lot of us do…..

Comment

He would not hunt on our ranch again until he proved that he can identify and distinguish between bucks. Sorry that happened man, there’s really not much margin for error with what you are doing, I’d have a pre hunt brief with any future hunters to try and mitigate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ouch. My first reaction was that it looks bigger than 142”

On our Leon County place, I loved allowing friends hunt and shoot whatever pigs (instead of deer) they wanted.

My rancher has his guests send real-time photos to discuss culls before the shot.

BP

Comment

Your hunter sounds alot like my wife! Bang. Me: what deer did you just shoot? Her: Idk but it looked legal…. I wouldnt trade her but “management” isnt in her vocab!

Comment

Just caught up and will follow along. Sounds like I'm in a similar position as you were several years ago. We just bought 500 ac and are starting management, etc. I'll definitely be using this thread as a reference and possibly pm with questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X