Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info
    Around my home place, the neighbors take bucks from each age group too.
    But usually the biggest or closest. With no regard for age.

Hoping to someday get a co-op put together, but no too optimistic given the culture.
    No hard feelings. Just a little frustrated given our good genetics.

Comment

Just make sure you exclude those areas from Rx fire where you leave the juniper skeletons. I’ve top killed a lot of 30’+ live oaks by running a fire through juniper slash… we were ok with it, but a lot of people aren’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        Thanks for the info
        Around my home place, the neighbors take bucks from each age group too.
        But usually the biggest or closest. With no regard for age.

Hoping to someday get a co-op put together, but no too optimistic given the culture.
        No hard feelings. Just a little frustrated given our good genetics.
        Totally understand what you are going through. That’s why we had to high fence our place bc after working with our neighbor for 8 years nothing changed. The only thing that has changed since high fencing is our age structure is improving and our antler sizes seem to be improving.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
          Just make sure you exclude those areas from Rx fire where you leave the juniper skeletons. I’ve top killed a lot of 30’+ live oaks by running a fire through juniper slash… we were ok with it, but a lot of people aren’t.
          Thanks for this information! These cedar skeletons are in an area that we won’t be burning. I’m looking forward to do some burning in February as long as we can get some moisture this winter.

Comment

Great thread.

Something I may have missed...how did you come up with the name "Gleaton Chip Ranch"? I understand Gleaton. Is Chip another family name?

I've always wondered the same about the Stasney's Cook Ranch outside of Albany.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
              Great thread.

Something I may have missed...how did you come up with the name "Gleaton Chip Ranch"? I understand Gleaton. Is Chip another family name?

I've always wondered the same about the Stasney's Cook Ranch outside of Albany.
              This used to be a part of a very large ranch called the Block House ranch (I think). Our place is very small (400 acres) compared to the original ranch so my dad thought of “chip off the old block” and named it Gleaton’s Chip Ranch.

Comment

We just purchased a new 2,000lb All Season’s low profile protein feeder. We wanted to purchase one ASAP since all manufacturers will most likely be increasing their prices for 2022. We got this brand new one for $1,100 and thought it was a good deal. That will put us at two 2,000lb protein feeders, one 1,500lb protein feeder, one 1,200lb protein feeder, and one 1,000lb trough feeder. We are picking up 5 tons of cottonseed next week and will start putting it out after x-mas. We are hoping to really provide a lot of supplemental feed this year since it’s been so dry this fall/winter along with other projects around the ranch to increase native forage (i.e. prescribed burning, mulching/removing cedars, etc.). Need to shoot 6-7 more doe and 1-2 more cull bucks.
                Last edited by bgleaton; 12-23-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Big Brows

Here's a picture of "Big Brows" who is a 5yr old:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	24673022

Can't wait to see what he does over the next two years!

Comment

That buck has a huge frame! Can’t wait to see what he does!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                      That buck has a huge frame! Can’t wait to see what he does!
                      Thanks! He normally has split brow tines every year but this year they are bladed. I’m hoping he can grow another 10 to 15 inches over the next two years. I’m not sure what he scored now but hoping he gets in the 150 to low 160’s.

Comment

At what age do you put the “trophy” deer on you hunt list?

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                            At what age do you put the “trophy” deer on you hunt list?
                            It used to be 6yrs for a trophy but now we are allowing them to get to 7yrs for a trophy. Being high fenced helps make these decisions much easier as this buck would have been shot last year and the year before that by our neighbors. Our goal is to continue feeding and try to grow the biggest native deer possible. We may find out with a lot of feeding that our deer get even bigger at 7yrs or 8yrs old as seen in South Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                              It used to be 6yrs for a trophy but now we are allowing them to get to 7yrs for a trophy. Being high fenced helps make these decisions much easier as this buck would have been shot last year and the year before that by our neighbors. Our goal is to continue feeding and try to grow the biggest native deer possible. We may find out with a lot of feeding that our deer get even bigger at 7yrs or 8yrs old as seen in South Texas.
                              They will. 8+ is when great things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                                Here's a picture of "Big Brows" who is a 5yr old:

[ATTACH]1074942[/ATTACH]

Can't wait to see what he does over the next two years!
                                That is a great buck!!! And to think those genetics, and even some better, are running all over our area but so many of them die way to soon... We've had 3.5 year old 140" deer shot by or neighbors, year end and year out.. Just babies with super potential.. We have a 2.5 year old 12(easily in the 30's)that has went MIA. He looked like a doe with antlers. Just a baby.. I'm sure he is a freezer by now. We are seriously considering high fencing. Well the LO is.. He has high fenced his other 1800 acres..

Comment

Working...
                                X